Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:59:45 EST
Hi Everyone,

Up until now I have not posted anything about the what Sandy from Little
Rabbit, Rodent,Rat,Ferret House posted on a recent posted.  I have wanted
to put my two bits in, but have felt until I really knew what this was
all about I wouldn't post anything.  But since no one has posted from the
Washington Ferret Rescue and Shelter.  I felt it was important that at
least people know that there's a lot more to this then what Sandy posted.

First, when the study first started two years ago, I know for a fact that
a paper was supposed to be given to Sandy from Dr. Cathy Johnson Delaney.
I saw the paper handed to the director of the shelter at that time the
ultrasounds were being done on the adrenal ferrets to decide which ones
would go into the study.  Cathy said it was to be given to Sandy.  I have
no ideal what this paper said.

The reputation of a wonderful vet is in Question and that upsets me very
much since I have yet to met any vet as great as Cathy Johnson Delaney.
She would never put a ferret to sleep that was not in really bad shape
and needed to be put to sleep, just because of the adrenal study.  Yes,
that morning both of my Ferrets that are in the study had been spayed and
descented.  I had never had a ferret descented before and believe me from
people I know that have had it done and have had problems with their
ferrets afterwards, I was very Leary of having it done.  I knew that Dr.
Delaney had done it many times, so I trusted her and I am really glad I
did.  My two girls bounced back within a day and you would never know
they had surgery, there was no bruising, their fur is already growing
back where they were shaved to have it done.

I have to admit I never saw Foxy and have no ideal what shape she was in,
but if Cathy Johnson Delaney told me that I needed to put a ferret to
sleep I would trust her judgment completely!  I don't think any vet puts
an animal to sleep if there's any possibility that they can heal the
animal.  Dr. Delaney has done so much for the WFRS shelter ferrets.  She
goes way over what most vets do for a shelter.  Why, because she loves
ferrets just like all the FML people do.  She also wants to find a reason
why so many ferrets get adrenal problems.  Is it because of early spaying
and neutering them?  Is it caused from a gene that all ferrets carry in
their body.  Is it from the conditions we keep are ferrets in.  Is it
caused by the Kibbles we feed our ferrets?  Well, without a complete
study we will never know.  Just like ADV.  which effects many ferrets.
Insulinoma, Adrenal tumors are two of the main things that ferrets get
so we need to find out why!  So when you think about donating money to
causes please consider the Adrenal study!

WashingtonFerret.org. is the website, look under research and click on it.

Sukie is right this study is very important and it will help every ferret
in the long run, and for Sandy to post this on the FML really upsets me!
I know there is a lot of miscommunication involved in this and hopefully
the truth of all this will come out.  I know Dr. Delaney does not have
time to read the FML!  Could what Sandy is doing hurt this study!  Sure
it could, will It, I don't know, I pray not!

As for the shelter.  In the past 5 years that the shelter has been open
we have rescued over 3,000 ferrets and found homes for all ferrets that
have been adoptable.  If not, they have stayed at the shelter until they
passed over to Rainbow bridge or went to a foster home.  No shelter is
perfect, because no humans are perfect, we have all made mistakes, we are
humans and that's why God put us down on this earth is to learn.  The
WFRS have done so much for the ferrets with so little money.  I have to
say that they are in need of money really bad to keep their doors open
and for someone to come on to this mailing list and cut down the vet or
the shelter is really sad!

I hear so much conflict between shelters and people here on the FML.  It
is so sad, since we are all here to help the ferrets.  We should all be
working together for the benefit of all ferrets and shelters.

My two bits,
Charleen and the Wa. Tails