From:
James - SBC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 14:58:23 -0500
Thank you to those of you who responded.  It was just a shock to have
something go wrong so soon after loosing Jako.  OK, it seems she had a
very slight reaction that manifested itself as rather extreme soreness
in her shoulders (where the injection was given).  We gave her Benedryl
and kept a close eye on her through the night.  I called the vet the
next morning and discussed the situation.  Some people who wrote me were
adamant that the injections be given separately and only in the flank.
According to the vet the only benefit to separating the injections is
you'll know which one gave the reaction, but in most cases it is the
distemper.  As for where the injection is given, it does not matter.
To my mind though, if weakness were to occur it would be better in the
front than back, because rear weakness is indicative of most illnesses.
I have now begun to reconsider when or if to get the vaccines.  Riley
is about 8yrs old, never goes outside or is exposed to outside animals.
Rabies was probably not necessary and distemper at her age may also
have been optional.  Bebe being only 4 will only be getting distemper.
Anybody else have thoughts on this?

James, Melissa & Kassidy

Loving:  Bebe, Riley
Missing:  Wheezer, Pym, Rikki, Jako