From:
Mahlyssa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:14:42 -0500
I have a few suggestions too.

My ferret Zama gets brushed every day.  With the wire brush and then
a baby brush.  He gets a bath once a month or sooner if he gets into
something :-)  Make sure you have clean litter boxes after baths.
Revenge sets in (although while he is in the tub he likes, it's the being
wet after that I think he gets mad about) and if the litter boxes aren't
clean at my house he will roll in them purposely.  I use a combination of
Marshalls ferret shamopoo and Platex Baby shampoo.  I wash him once over
with the regular ferret shampoo - which I really don't like the smell
because when he's dry he smells like wet dog - and then around his next
and belly I foam up some of the baby shampoo and rub it in and rinse it
which has a soft nice smelling scent.  My ferret has beautiful fur and
skin.  Then I blow dry him on low ,which he absolutely loves, until he's
only a little damp.  I rub in a bit of Platex's Baby Oil which doesn't
have the baby powder scent.  Then I let him finish drying off in a towel
pouch that I made him.  I used to spray him with ferret deodorant - but
I think he smells better then the deodorant does when he smells "bad".
We have switched to children's leave in conditioner spray - strawberry.
I called our ferret vet in town to ask if that would harm him - we went
through the ingredients together and he said it would be fine.  Again my
ferret has great skin and beautiful soft fur.

I clean the ferret cages with some pet cage spray stuff after it is
rinsed and all the icky stickies they tend to leave in there are gone.
Then I made a paste with baking powder and scrub it good.  Rinse it out.

His betting gets washed in sensitive skin ivory laundry liquid (I hate
powder cause it tends to stick in the material and it you pick it up and
suck a little you can taste the laundry detergent) and add some liquid
fabric softener because the scent seems to be less strong.  I only for
the ferret's stuff because I don't think it works well for human clothes -
shock!  Ouch!  Shock!  Ouch!  Get my picture hehe.  I dry the bedding
and blankies and then I put them in a Tupperware container which seems to
lock in the scent.  Like someone else mentioned - I have lots of bedding
and blankies and hammies and I don't like doing laundry every day *L* So
I make sure I have extras.

I have noticed that sometimes you may need to wash Fleece hammies and
blankies two times.  If you pick them up and smell them really good, they
sometimes have a slight smell of ferret on them.  I just run them through
another cycle (on a lower water setting) and it's gone.

Something you may not have thought of.  Wash there toys AND stuffed
animals often.  My ferret has a few of them and if decides he is going to
sleep with them by the end of the week it smells much worse then he does.
I usually do these by hand and let them soak for awhile.  My ferret has
the habit of seeing how much water they can soak up - how much poop he
can get on them - whether the food dust will stick to them if he burries
them in his food dish.  etc

I bring my ferret out for walks.  The beginning of summer I didn't bring
him outside and I noticed he started to smell sooner and it was really
strong.  Once I started bringing him out for walks or hooking him up on a
leash and watch him run around in the yard he smelt better then he ever
had.

Hope this helps!

Mahlyssa