From:
Jane Booth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 14:22:44 -0700
Hi Everyone!!  My name is Jane and I'm from Australia.  This is my first
post so I am new to this list.  I'm also new to the ferret world.  I will
explain......I've never liked ferrets.  My best friend's brother had two
when we were at school and they were smelly, biting little ratbags and I
hated visiting!  I've always vowed never to have one!  Since I got married
(10 years ago now) I've had 3 cats, and umpteen greyhounds.  My husband
has kep up a constant whine "Can't we get a ferret????" to be answered
"NEVER!!!!!"

So.....now the two kids (ages 8 and 6) have started and I have to admit,
the girl-child's sad little face has finally gotten to me.  After seeing
all the cute photos of ferrets everywhere I decided it couldn't hurt to do
some research.  So I did.....I went to the local pet shop and talked.  I
spent hour after hour on the internet...then I rang the New South Wales
Ferret Welfare Society and talked for hours!  Needless to say I am now
awaiting the arrival of two ferrets of my own!  They were abandoned due to
their previous family having no time for them.  They are a chocolate mitt
(??) and a dark-eyed white (??)and male and female.  The female is 3 and
the male is 4 and all reports tell me they love children, are litter-box
trained and love to cuddle.  I sit here and wonder what I have gotten
myself into but I have made my decision and will give these little
characters a good loving home regardless of my own reservations.  I have
to admit.....(only to you guys...not my family!) that I am even finding
myself feeling quite excited about getting these two.  We have made a lot
of preparation for them and I am happy with the fact we decided to "adopt"
homeless ones instead of buy babies.

I will not have them until June 3rd so I will continue to research how to
care for them in the meantime.  I am enjoying all your posts and finding
many things are very useful.

From Canberra in Australia, I say "G'Day Mates!"
 - Jane