From:
Randy Horton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2000 00:10:39 -0600
A long time ago, a friend who has a small rescue and is actually my mentor
in the rescue business, Bless you Steph, sent me a story that really
reflects how we keep doing what we do in ths business.  The author is
unknown so I really don" know who to give credit to for this.  But you all
need to know that every time I think about how tough this is, I relect on
this story.

Once upon a time, there was this guy who used to walk up and down the beach
at low tide every single day.  He was always by himself and never stopped
to talk to the people who had houses along the beach.  Many of the locals
got used to seeing him stop every once in awhile, pick up a stranded
starfish and throw it back into the sea.  He did this for years, walking
miles every day, picking up a starfish now and then, and throwing it back
in the water.  One day, a gentleman who lived in one of the beach houses
couldn't stand the curiosity any more.  He stopped the man by standing in
his path and said to him" Hey fella, how come we see you walking this beach
everyday for the last few years picking up the starfish that are stranded
at low tides.  You can't possibly save them all!  You'll never make a
difference in whether they live or die!"  The beach walker started walking
again, bent over a picked up another starfish and threw it into the sea.
Then he turned and looked into the other guys eyes and said " I made a
difference for that one!', and turned around and started walking down the
beach, continuing on his mission of saving them....one at a time.

That how we continue here at Especially Ferrets... one at a time.  Thank
you all for the support you have given Gloria and I when times have been
tough.  We know they will get better.

Hugs to all!
Ferretguy