From:
Jennifer Coyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 01:18:23 -0700
Donette wrote:
>The vet explained that she would be given an injection and she would die of
>an overdose in around ten minutes or so.  ... I walked in and said I wanted
>to stay with her while the injection took effect.  The vet said it wasn't
>possible.  I insisted.  He said she was already dead- I said it had only
>been a couple of minutes and I wanted her brought to me.  He did only after
>I again demanded.  She was dead and had blood on her chest.  I took her and
>left.  It looked as though she had been injected more than once.  I was
>really upset and then looked into the way pets are put down.  I was
>appalled.

First, I would like to send you my sympothy and compassion- that such an
awful situation happened.  Euthanasia is a difficult procedure to go
through, especially when you loved and were attached to your little critter.
I have had to have a few of my babies euthanized, so I understand the
seriousness of it.  But what what really upset me was the manner of how it
happened.  As a certifed veterinary technician, I was shocked to hear of how
your vet administered the euthansia.  In all my years, I had never worked
with doctor like that.  And as far as I knew, such procedures were not being
practiced anymore.  I have worked at many clinics and hospitals, which dealt
with this process much differently- humanely.  Which is how I know that this
is not very common, but apparently it is still happening, which disgusts me.

At the clinic that I am currently working at, euthanasia is dealt with in a
very honorable, painless manner.  Most veterinarians, good ones that is,
understand how difficult it is to put to death a person's loved animal and
friend.  Therefore, they make the actual euthanasia, as comfortable as
possible, for both animal and their owner ( or parent, as we call it at the
clinic).  We use a injectible drug, called Euthasol.  We then take a IV
(intravenous) butterfly catheter, insert it into the animal's vein, as you
would like any other animal or human patient, and slowly inject the Euthasol
solution into the bloodstream.  How the solution works is, it puts the
animal gradually (takes only a few seconds) into a deep coma.  This process
is completely painless - the animals doesn't struggle.  It works like a
sedative, in the aspect that it causes the animal to drift off to sleep.
Sometimes, but very rarely, it may cause the animal to hallucinate, but this
is very similar to anesthesia, and is not painful.  Within a few seconds,
the animal is in a deep coma.  The doctor then listens to the heart, which
within a couple minutes, stops beating.  The whole process is very peaceful
and humane.  The doctor and the technicians always ask the parent of the
animal if they would like to be in the room during their passing on.  99% of
all euthanasias at our clinic, are accompanied by their human friend.

After the euthanasia, we let the parents stay with their pet alone, for as
long as they wish. One important thing that the doctors and staff understand
and practice, is the awful pain that the owners are going through. We always
offer comfort and counseling afterwards. We also discuss affordable options
like individual cremation and urns.

Basically I am writing this to express my concern of this matter, because I
know that what happened to you and your animals was rare, but very serious
and needs the attention.  But I would also like to assure you that this is
not the common method of euthanasia.  Their are some veterinarians out
there, that should not be practicing medicine.  But please do not forget
that there are many more respectable veterinarians.  I know that it's
sometimes difficult to to determine the better ones.  But when faced in the
decision of euthanasia, one sure way of knowing if your vet is truly a sound
and humane one is: whether or not they allow you to accompany your pet
during euthanasia.  If they do not allow it, and resort to suspicious
behavior like locking the door, you know that they are trying to hide
something and that you need to find a different doctor.  If they do allow
you to be in the room , then you should be reassured, that even if your pet
is in pain and is suffering, the procedure will be painless and peaceful,
and is ultimately the best decision.

Once again, I send my heart out to you, after having gone through such a
traumatic ordeal.  I hope that you have happy, healthy animals, and have
found a better veterinarian for your babies.

Dooks and Fuzz Kisses to All
Jennifer M. Coyer CVT
Fred, Faya and Zero the Fuzzmunckins