Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 1997 21:54:10 -0400
More tips on ferret proofing...
I leave an empty drawer in an old cabinet in the ferret-proofed basement for
the fluff-butts to play in.  One day I called for the ferrets to be gathered
up to be put to bed at night in the cage.  Three out of four fuzzies showed
up for bedtime kisses, but no Cocoa.  After putting the other three to bed I
combed the house calling "COCOA, COCOA" and checking all of the usual
sleeping spots to no avail.  Repeating the same in the basement, I could
hear faint scratching noises.  I finally tracked my trapped sweetie.  He had
gotten thru the little space between the top of the cabinet drawer and the
bottom of the next drawer up, and ended up behind the drawer.  He couldn't
seemed to figure out how to come back through the same way to freedom.  I
carefully removed the drawer keeper and pulled out the drawer slowly in case
Cocoa had decided to try squeezing back through.  Out came a happy and
grateful fuzzy.

I personally think that night time and no-one-at-home time cage confinement
is more conducive to a happy and healthy ferret family.  Having a nightime
head count and goodnight checks and kisses makes sure all fuzzbutts are
present and accounted for.  When names are called and someone turns up
missing, I start to worry and don't quit looking until the misplaced fuzzy
is located in the house.  Scratching, but not showing up means a fuzzy is
confined and can't escape, so searches begin.

Don't forget if you leave the sock drawer open and then get destracted for a
few minutes, check the drawer for sock varmits before gingerly closing the
drawer.  If you have ferrets, it's a good idea to NEVER slam any door or
drawer hard; always gently, especially the refrigerator and other large
doors.