Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 1997 09:32:29 -0500
OK you experinced ferret people out there...

Anchoring the litterbox to the cage seems to be the desired method of
keeping it in place.

My future ferret has turned into two.  I thought we'd be resistant to ferret
math.  Who us?  The people who don't do anything pet-wise without knowing
EVERYTHING?  Naw, ferret math won't affect us until we have had ours for a
year... Yeah sure.  Ferret math has struck even before our little one has
come to us.  The worst part is it was encouraged by my SO - and he was the
confirmed skeptic!!!!  Yes we are getting two...

Back to litter box anchoring.  We've selected a lovely home, a Kritter Kage
"The Barn" model and plan to use a litter box with a cut down front on the
first floor.  You may have to use your imagination for the next part... I'd
like to make two little side by side slits (about 1/2" apart) in strategic
places in the back and one corner of the litter box and use velcro straps
attached to each other and run through these slits to anchor the box to the
outside of the mesh of the cage.  This would effectivly keep the box in the
corner but make it possible to remove for cleaning.  My concern is, will a
ferret using the box see the little black non stick sides of the velcro
straps, even though they are anchored tightly, become distracted from
pooping and try to pull them through?  Can a ferret pull apart velcro?  I
was going to put the straps low on the box and keep them short to prevent
them from being pulled into the cage and into the box and eaten from the
inside.  I don't want to use zip ties because you'd have to cut them if you
wanted to scrub the box.

I want to know, am I having a clever idea or a dumb one.  Don't laugh <g>

About that ferret named Meltdown... Dare I ask, where did the name come
from?  Does Meltdown have a buddy named Fuelrod?

Also, does TF or any other good food tend to go rancid if stored out of the
fridge?  It is pretty high in fat.  A friend of mine made some cat crunchies
from scratch once from a pet cookbook.  Her cats liked 'em, my cats didn't -
but our dog went nuts for them.  Seems you could make ferret crunchies and
really control the amount of grain and additives if you had a lot of time on
your hands.  Anyone have a recipe?

About a month 'till ferret ownership and counting down...

ADP