From:
Jan Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 14:46:43 -0400
Hi, my name is Jan I live in Toronto I have four lovely carpet sharks of my
own and help out with the ferrets who find their way to the Toronto Humane
Society.  My reason for posting is two-fold.  If there are Canadian and
more specifically Toronto area ferret-folks who would be interested in
helping out with the THS ferrets, my fellow helpers Mindy and Laurie
would love to hear from you.

Even though THS can only take in surrenders, (they lost their City contract
to take in strays) we still get a regular influx of little fuzz butts
needing some company and exercise.  They tend to come in waves, none for
ages and then several in succession or together and of course they always
arrive when one of us has horrible work deadlines to meet etc.

Another couple of folks to help out would be much appreciated.  (You have
to go through a fairly painless procedure with THS to get accepted as a
volunteer, but we can sometimes fast track this!)  Anyway it is also good
to network with local ferret lovers, so that we can help each other out in
times of crisis and for babysitting etc.  Any takers for the THS or people,
who would like to get in touch with other ferret folks, please reply here
or direct to me on [log in to unmask]

Also if anyone has any news of other Toronto city shelters and how they
deal with ferrets coming to them as strays, now that THS no longer takes
them, I would be grateful for any info.  I'm very afraid that some poor
fuzz butts may be facing euthanasia (or worse) due to lack of ferret
knowledge/overcrowding/ shelter policy.  Not certain what we can do, but
knowledge of what is going on would be a good starting point!

All info gratefully received.

Greetings from
Jan, 'Nella (I am Queen Ferret), Hoots, (nose-chomper supreme), Zachary
(the willful) and Cirque (the oh-so cute but picked-upon baby of the bunch)