From:
Sally Filler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 May 2002 10:36:08 -0700
Natasha wrote:
>Last night, my Ferret was sleeping and he let out this sort of a scared
>cry which I have never ever heard before.  HE never makes noises unless
>he's hurt.  This frightned me.  When I picked him up, he was still
>sleeping so I know it wasn't because of injury.  Was this the cause of
>a nightmare?  Thanks!

Just curious   Is this a rescue ferret?

I have heard my adopted ferret, Crisco, scream in his sleep.  The only
time I heard him scream while awake was about a week or two after I first
brought him home.  We were playing chase and he couldn t get traction on
the linoleum floor, panicked and let out a blood curdling scream.  He was
so frightened and it took a few minutes before he settled down.  Crisco
has been a big cuddle bunny from day one, not a biter, and I never
imagined he would think anyone would hurt him.  I felt terrible for
scaring him when he was so new to the household.  I can only assume that
later when he screamed in his sleep it must have been a nightmare.  It
was the same scream.  My other ferret, whom we have raised from a kit,
has never screamed.  Maybe Crisco was just unsure because of the new
environment, but who knows what some abandoned ferrets go through before
they find their way to a shelter where people love them.  Crisco now does
a short war dance to get me to chase him and enjoys skidding around the
room but the next ferret I bring home I will introduce chase games to
more slowly.

Sally, Kiwi the Pixi Princess and Count of Monkey Crisco.