From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2002 14:17:07 -0400
With a history of ECE in the past, and constantly poor stools, I would
think about the possiblity of inflammatory bowel disease.

With this possibility, the most definitive diagnostic test available is
an intestinal biopsy (either via exploratory laparotomy or endoscopy).
This would be preferable to months of possibly unnecessary antibiotics.

If surgery is not a possibility here, then I would recommend discontinuing
the Flagyl - I see no cause to use it and the visceral reaction to this
drug may result in gastric ulcers which would considerably worsen the
prognosis.  The use of 0.5 mg prednisone once daily for 2-4 weeks as an
empiric therapy is not likely to cause any additional problems, and IBD
cases are often improved on this low dose.

Another thing to look at is the diet.  Untreated IBD cases generally have
trouble with kibbled diets, and this worsens diarrhea.  A more digestible
food such as baby food, duck soup, or a/d when coupled with prednisone,
usually gives the most rapidly visible response.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM