From:
Juliana Paulauskas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 1996 16:58:36 -0500
I've been reading a lot of posts lately about the use of insect sprays in
the homes (or apartments) of ferret owners.  I thought I'd relate my
experiences on this subject as well:

I own a home in the Pocono Mountains of PA.  We have plenty of critters up
here ranging from as small as field mice and bugs to as large as 500lb black
bears.  My house (especially the deck) used to be the summer home for wasps,
hornets, and the occasional family of carpenter ants.  Needless to say, for
my own safety, I have the house sprayed inside and out three times per year.

I was very concerned about the chemicals being used on the inside of the
house because I didn't know if would be toxic to the ferrets.  I talked to
the "bug guy" about my concerns.  He decided to use a special spray inside
the house that they use for very sensitive people and people with respitory
illnesses (such as asthma).  I allow him to spray all areas of the house
EXCEPT for the ferrets room (I never see bugs in there anyhow and the
ferrets are flealess).  Once the house has been sprayed, the ferrets stay in
their own room for at least 48 hours.  Then, I make sure to vacuum every
area and corner of the house thoroughly before allowing them to run around.

I've been having this done on a regular basis for about 2 years now and I am
grateful to say that I've had no problems thus far.  I am always very
careful about any chemicals used in the house.  (I don't even buy chemical
floor cleaners any more --I use good old fashioned baking soda with a clear
hot water rinse)

Happy Ferreting,
Julie and The Fuzz Factory --Misty and Charity
In Loving Memory of Sobriety