From:
California Domestic Ferret Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 1996 20:37:54 -0400
>CDFA1,
>In yesterday's FML you made comment about CDFA not being involved in
>legalization any more.  Is Jeanne's group alone going to be doing
>legalization?  Are any others working with her?  Ferrets Anonymous?
>Perhaps we need a re-cap on each of these three organizations and their
>responsibilities.

>I caught a piece about CDFA no longer being involved in the legalization
>effort, therefore can go non-profit status, donations become tax-deductable,
>etc.
>Sooo...besides rescue situations (aren't they keeping their licence to take
>in and ship out confiscated ferts?), what will CDFA's role(s?) be?

I tried to explain but I guess I'm not making myself clear.  Yes.........
technically Jeanne's group will be the "only group" working on legalization,
HOWEVER that does not mean that individuals from the other groups cannot
continue to support her in EVERY way.  I don't know and can't speak for
Jeanne or her group, I do know that the CDFA felt a single compreshensive
group, with hopefully a short life spand, who's entire energy and focus was
on legalization was needed.  Not a group continuing to try to do it
all.......... Jeanne, with her past outstanding legalization effort history,
is the most likely organizor of this new group.  Her connections, her savy
of the legislature, and legalization process make her THE most likely choice
for this groups head.  I personally and the other members of the CDFA Board
as well as the roster membership (I am assuming on their part) fully support
her efforts for this goal.  HOWEVER the CDFA as a group CANNOT financially
or officicially support her at the risk of harming the CDFA's non-profit
status.  It's was one of those "tax" laws that catches us all........ it's
why FA could not become a fully non-profit organization as they wanted to.
CDFA will continue with it's rescue/ship to safety programs with some
massive improvements.  We are working on those as I type to you.  CDFA will
also continue in the EDUCATION area, a highly needed area as the number of
ferrets in CA continues to increase by leaps and bounds (despite F&G's and
AG's best efforts).  We will continue to hold seminars for vets to increase
the medical knowledge on ferrets.  We will continue to author, dispense, and
assist with articles of information on the care and temperament of domestic
ferrets.  We will continue to do everything within our human power to insure
that every animal, rescue or surrender, that comes into our care will
receive everything it needs to maintain a happy and healthy life.

I speak for myself, as well as the new Board of Directors of the CDFA, when
I say, we will write the letters, we will get petitions signed (as
individuals representing Calfornians for legalization), will work on fund
raising activities, and will march on the capitol when called to do so.  The
only change has been a split of groups to assist in tax reasons.  We can as
an organization share all of our literature and information with Jeanne's
group, and fully intend to do so.

As I said, I am speaking for the CDFA.  I cannot nor would I presume to
speak for Jeanne, her father, or the rest of her organization.  I hope she
comes forward and clears up her end of this confusion.  I do feel her second
post on this situation fully supports the CDFA and it's position of rescue
and education on ferrets.

CDFA1