From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 16:08:09 -0500
Note: Due to the loss of my hard drive, the following question is not
a direct quote, but a paraphrase made from memory.  If my memory was
faulty, or for some reason I have failed to answer a question, please
feel free to email me and I will resolve the situation.

Q: I am building a cage for my ferrets; should I paint my cage any
   specific colors to enhance my ferret's captivity?

A: Back when I was a photojournalist, I took a LOT of pictures of
baseball, and occasionally was forced to shoot behind a chain-link fence.
You could always tell my favorite angle because the chain-link in that
area had been mysteriously spray-painted flat black.  The reason is
because when your camera is very close to the black fence and you are
using a telephoto lens, the fence seems to "disappear" from the photo.
The same phenomenon occurs with window screens.  If the sun is shining
on your window screen, it is very hard to see through it.  However, if
the window screen is in shadow, it is very easy to through.  One reason
is because light objects reflect light, creating a glare that blurs and
obscures the visual field, while dark objects absorb light, reducing
glare and allowing the eye to see past the object.

I have thought about this for some time, and have wondered if
constructing a cage with thicker, light-colored wires on the sides and
top, with thin, dark wire on the front, might be a way to increase the
feeling of security for the ferret.  The thicker, light-colored wires
(perhaps light gray or green) should provide a visual barrier and
increase feelings of security, while the thin, dark-colored wire (matt
black) in the front should remove visual barriers, allowing the ferret
to better observe the environment, safe within their visual "cave."

This isn't directly enhancing the visual environment, and I am not sure
that needs to be done to the cage itself (unless creating visual barriers
can be considered visual enhancement).  I would think allowing the cage
to remain neutral (other than creating or removing visual barriers) would
be better, and instead concentrate on improving the visual enhancement of
interactive objects, such as toys.  When it comes to toys, while ferrets
cannot see most colors (probably most deep reds and some deep blues),
they see contrasting tones quite well.  Dark-colored objects are better
visualized against light backgrounds, while light-colored objects are
seen better when placed against dark ones.  If you have a hard time
thinking in terms of contrasting tones, here is a way to figure things
out.  Take a picture of the object in question with your digital camera
(or have a photo print scanned).  In your image viewing application,
delete the color, leaving behind a gray-tone image.  The ferret's vision
will be grainier, but you'll get the idea of how much contrast is shown
by the object.

There is another way to increase the visual brightness of the object,
and that is to ignore the visual aspect, and instead enhance the
"olfactory brightness."  Rub some unique odor on the toy, and the object
will "shine" like a brightly lit Christmas tree; well, at least to the
ferrets nose.

Bob C