From:
"edman (Ed Atlee)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 14:37:20 EST
Well, I'll leave nutritional aspects to someone more qualified.  We also use
Kay-Tee, mixed with Marshall's and Totally Ferret.  Probably mostly TF, a
bit less Marshall's, and a little Kay-Tee.  I'd reccommend mixing the
Kay-Tee with something else, for two reasons:

1.  Ferrets are picky; if Kay-Tee changes their formula, or you move and
can't find it, or whatever, it could be difficult to get them to eat some-
thing they're not used to.  If this happens when they are old or sick, you
could have a real problem.  Better that they're used to it now.

2.  Kay-Tee is a soft food.  What this means as far as digestion and litter-
box odors, I don't know, but I have to think that mixing with a drier,
crunchier food would be better for their teeth and gums in the long run.

Don't be discouraged if they don't take to the mix right away.  When we
introduced Totally Ferret, most of it ended up on the floor.  But they've
now grown to love it...or maybe when we started getting it cheaper (thanks
Todd and Andi!), they figured out that it didn't bother me as much to see
it all over the cage, and decided to put it in their stomachs, after all :-)
In any case, it only took about one small (5 lb? 7 lb?) bag before they
took to it.

--Ed Atlee