From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2001 17:05:41 -0400
Dick wrote:
>   >AN ORDINANCE AMENDING SECTION 4-5-5 AND CHAPTER 6-1, B.R.C. 1981,
>>REGULATING KEEPING OF WILD AND EXOTIC ANIMALS,
>
>The problem with the proposed ordinance is, as several poster pointed out,
>that it leaves the interpretation of "Wild" and "Exotic" to the people
>enforcing it.  The ferret owners in the city of Lynn, MA are now in a
>heated battle with their city council over the ownership of ferrets.
>Their ordinance prohibits the ownership of wild and exotic animals within
>the city.  Public Health for the city has defined the domestic ferret as
>a wild/exotic animal, and currently prohibits ownership.
>
>If this proposed Boulder, CO ordinance would take effect, then the ferret
>owners of Boulder might find themselves in a similar situation should "the
>powers that be" decide to declare the ferret as a wild or exotic animal.
>It's much better and easier to address the situation now, and make sure
>that the ordinance specifically excludes ferrets in the ban.  Otherwise
>you'll very possibly be facing a long, uphill battle in the future.
>
>Dick B.

Yes, it's also partly how the banning of ferrets got shoe-horned-in in NYC,
and I have seen it happen in some other places.  Having ferrets in there as
a *clear exclusion* will prevent Boulder residents from potentially having
a huge amount of grief down the line.  It's time for Boulder residents to
inform their council, and to ask their vets to also do so, so that this
can be done ASAP!

Todd wrote:
>You seem to have missed a pertinent section when quoting what was listed
>in that text.  Let me point it out:
>
>>(g) For the purposes of this section, wild animals means animals which
>>are free or feral, i.e., not subjected to human possession. Exotic
>>animals means animals which are not native to Colorado and which are
>>normally wild in those areas of the world where wild populations exist,
>>whether captured or bred in captivity, and also means...
>
>The stress here, is on the phrase "...wild animals means animals which
>are free or feral, i.e., not subjected to human possession."
>
>To the best of my knowledge, other than New Zealand, there are no known
>feral or "wild" populations of (domesticated version) ferrets anywhere in
>the world.  Is that statement not excluding ferrets, then, from the
>restriction?

Remember what an uphill battle people in CA have proving this even though
they have CA F&G's OWN documents substantiating it.  Truth is not always
accepted as proof.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Gordon wrote:
>Isn't a lion a cat ?  Ha!

Different genus, but mountain lions are Felis concolor, same genus as
house cats