Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 16:47:00 +1300
Hi.  I've enjoyed reading the digest since I've subscribed.  It's been very
informative and helpful thus far.  Now, I have a problem which I believe a
vet out there may be able to give me a hand with.

Over the past two days, my male sable (Guy) has been walking strangely.  As
he and my four little girls live outdoors much of the time, I moved all five
inside, and have been keeping an eye on him.  Today, although the situation
is no worse, I sent Guy to be examined.  I live in Whangarei, a town in the
northern part of the North Island of New Zealand.  Ferrets are few and far
between here, and although my vet has been wonderful, they have little
experience with ferrets, and are willing to take any information you have to
give.  However, my vet feels that Guys symptoms are similar to the 'wobbler
syndrome' found in dogs and horses.  She has never heard of this in ferrets,
and wishes to know if this is possible.  She has kindly written some details
of this 'syndrome' for you to peruse, in the hopes someone can help.  Sorry
about the length...

Wobbler dogs - Cervical vertebral malformation/ malarticulation (TB horses
also affected by similar syndrome).  Cervical spinal cord compression.
Usually large breed dogs (dobermanns, great danes).  Secondary to
developmental malformations/ instability/ instability associated changes in
the spinal canal.  Males more than females.  Frequently present in young
great danes (stenosis (narrowing) of vertebral canal), and as
malarticulation of caudal cervical vertebrae with spinal cord compression by
secondary soft tissue hypertrophy in middle-aged/old dobermanns.  Genetic
predisposition/ overnutrition/ conformation all implicated in the
development of this disorder.  Clinical features: progressive weakness/
wobbly gait, especially of pelvic limbs.  May be scuffing toesnails/ stiff
gait in forelimbs.  Usually slowly progressive, may see a traumatic episode
resulting in an acute exacerbation or clinical signs.  Dogs mildly ataxic/
tetraparetic.  Rear limbs more severely affected.  Overt pain over spinal
rare unless secondary disc prolapse.

Diagnosis: History/clinical signs/X-ray/CSF analysis/myelography
Treatment: Medical or surgical (depends on severity/ onset
X-ray/Myelogram). Cage rest. Corticosteroids.
As far as she has seen, this seems to be what Guy has. She has not taken
X-rays etc yet, having done a check-up and watched him for the day. If
it is possible for ferrets to have 'wobbler syndrome', I would
appreciate information to be sent to [log in to unmask] for me to pass
on to my vet. Many thanks to those who answer (and those who feel for my
baby, he's got to get cage rest!!).
Sam