From:
Bill Sebok <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 20 Jun 1992 00:00:10 -0400
Ferret allergens are not included in the standard allergy test battery.
I have known for years that I have a strong allergy to cats and a mild one to
dogs.  I attempted to find out whether I was allergic to ferrets by holding
them in a pet shop and a ferret show, but the symptoms didn't really develop
until I got two ferrets and had daily exposure to them.  One thing to look
for is your reaction to a ferret scratch.  If the surrounding skin swells
like a mosquito bite and itches, this is a clear sign of an allergic reaction.
Unfortunately, my reaction to ferrets is very strong, with nasal irritation,
wheezing and some difficulty in breathing.  I love my pets too much to give
them up, so I have taken some steps to make the situation bearable.

The most important thing is to keep the ferrets in a room that has no carpet
or upholstery.  These things become tremendous repositories of allergens.
As I write, I am sitting in a small, carpeted room where we let the ferrets
play.  I cannot stay very long in this room without using two types of
medication.  However, the ferret cage is in our kitchen next to a sliding
door.  The combination of the good ventilation and the lack of carpet makes
that room quite tolerable for me.  I can use the kitchen table as a desk for
several hours, sitting only a few feet from the ferrets and remaining
symptom-free.  The difference between the two rooms is dramatic.

We recently ordered a $200 medical-grade air filter which was recommended
by my allergist, who understands that I am determined not to part with my
animals.  I will let you know how this works.  My husband and I are also
planning to try to remove some of the carpet from our house and replace it
with wood.

I hope this information is helpful to other allergic animal lovers.  If anyone
has any other suggestions on this subject, I would be interested in hearing
about them.

                         Clare Sebok