From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 1995 13:33:00 EDT
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the
other man's freedom.  You can only be free if I am." -- Clarence Darrow

Seems I stirred up some interest with my comments on the ECE issue.  Good,
that was my intent.  I want to represent the voice of the average consumer
in this discussion.  We do not breed or rescue, and we may know little
about ferrets and their care.  FML response to much of the HSUS hubbub is
to stress the need for our education.  Where will this education come from?
Should the average person who wants to keep a ferret (especially their
first one) have to learn from the school of hard knocks?  I happen to think
that knowledge and authority carries an increased burden of responsibility.
If you breed or provide a shelter, you present an air of knowledge &
authority to the "casual" owner.  Disclosure of all facets of care, now
including the risk of ECE, is part of this role.  If that is not
acceptable, then don't take on the role.  (Of course, IMHO)

I agree with BIG that Pat Nothangle's post was enjoyable and instructive.  I
even enjoyed Jeanne Stadtmiller's.   Pat's comment about round the clock
care to get past ECE flare up is too true.  As I said, any shelter or
breeder, if I was pointing a finger, it is at the breeder that indirectly
gave it to us.  I deliberately spoke in generalities to let everybody
examine their own conscience and to include the ongoing shelter thread.  Not
only has this affected my ferrets, but my wife feels extremely guilty at
having exposed us.  This stress is even worse than the intensive care of
hand feeding, hydration, and cleaning the 7 ferrets need.  Without
disclosure, someone else made the decision for us that this impact is worth
whatever benefit they gained (a few bucks from 2 sales that may have been
lost).  This is what we resent.  Look at the flap that patients have made
when they find out their dentist or MD had AIDS and they were not told.  CD
was talking about legal freedoms, but freedom from disease also applies.

Bill Killian, you and I don't really disagree on the pedigree area (in fact,
I was thinking about zen & the art...with my breeder disclaimer).  To
nonbreeders, it has no value.  That is exactly my point.  On the other hand,
the possibility that a new kit/adoptee could carry a disease that may not
harm it, but be trouble for friends and other contacts is vital information.
I would like breeders and shelters to consider what it is that the average
owner really needs and guide themselves that way.  Giving a pedigree is just
an example of what is not needed by us.  Bill, you give me the impression of
doing the right thing by your clients.

We have been able to cope with what we got, but what if we weren't?  Giving
them to a shelter, or just to the streets, could be very attractive to
somebody less committed.  Doesn't that feed into HSUS's perspective?  We
still have a lot of questions about the impact on meetings with owners in
our area.  Do we give up on our fight and the fun because we are a disease
vector?  Are others that were at this event, and the host, contaminated even
if not afflicted?  The 5% mortality rate depends on severity and the ability
to extend care.  At least one of mine could have died, but we really went
all out for him.  He is now in the 95%, but that does not reflect how
serious things were.  Don't be swayed by aggregate numbers.  They don't
predict your specific experience, only the general result.

I just want people to be aware that what may be a simple decision for them
may create tremendous problems for others downstream.  No one is an island
(that was one of my mistakes) and we have to act accordingly.

   ( )--(a)
   (@=@=) \     Till next time.......Rudy the ferlosopher
      \   \       Who wants my ferrets to visit them?
      /\ * )  \
"You can only protect your wellness in this world by protecting other's
health.  Your ferrets can only be well if mine are." -- Rudy