From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 May 1997 00:19:48 -0500
About some of the genetics discussions: what is really needed is for a large
number of breeders to track characteristics (preferably according to some
set guidelines to reduce confusion) from parents through at least four
generations of offspring (Yep, a LOT of individuals and it will require the
cooperation of a lot of buyers...).  I know there is a person who has
written on the topic but what I've seen of the result convinces me that this
individual learned a good deal about genetics for saomeone without any
biology background, but not enough to provide info which can be considered
as a reliable source.  So scratch what's been written (but keep it handy in
a back drawer because if things match then that's important confirmation)
and decide just WHAT you breeders want to track.  Here's what I'D like to
see tracked: age at death, cause of death, assorted medical problems (
cardiomyopathy, J.L., adult L., adrenal problems and of what type,
insulinomae, kidney problems, liver problems, etc.) and at what age they
occured, temperment.  Here's what I know some other folks here have
indicated interest in seeing tracked as well: prognathic vs.  orthonathic,
coat thickness, coat length, coat patterns and coloring.  It would also pay
to mention in your notes any special things which could be important as when
one breeder here wound up with an unusual reoccurent heart problem and had
to cull a line years ago, dwarfism, deafness, cateracts, orthodontic
problems, etc.  Until the basic stuff is done for enough individuals there's
really nothing which can be truly known.  You'll know what is meant when you
see your piles of sheets on each individual and your charts with the tracked
items abbreviated.  Some patterns will just jump out for each of you -- some
will be the same, or other breeders' lines might indicate other ways to have
the same phenotype so that a cross between the two lines might well not turn
out at all what you'd have expected without the charts there to clue you in.

Spotty and Warpie are improving.  Have heard that albinos often appear to
(i.e. no hard data) have more trouble with infectious diseases (something
which could vary depending on the TYPE ( the genotype ) of albinism, or with
the breeder, or with a number of other things) so their apparent sensitivity
that way is something we'll have to remember whenever there is an infectious
disease here, since these two sweeties have been hit much harder than the
others.  It's a relief to see them getting a bit better -- we'd talked about
putting Spot on IV as an option if he continued to worsen just yesterday
evening.  Hope Hanan doesn't get it; this is a bug which can pass from
people to ferrets and back again.

Sukie