From:
Judy Cooke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 13:07:31 -0400
The good news is it's not broken!!  When I noticed that little Einstein was
only using 3 legs-I was very concerned!  He was putting no weight on it at
all!  This was yesterday morning and as I had things I could not get out
of, the vet visit had to wait until this morning.  Other than not using it,
the only other thing I noticed was that he was making little moans and
grunts in his sleep.  He has never done this before so I am wondering if he
is expressing pain.  Good things happened at the Vet today!  First, he has
gained weight!  He is very close to 2lbs now!  Which for a ferret that
weighted just about a pound 6 weeks ago-is a good thing!!  Maybe the Vet
was correct in his statement that perhaps he was younger than I thought and
was still growing!!  At the time, I thought it sounded kinda stupid, but
when you consider that he is MF-there is not really anyway to verify age!
Just because I was told he was 8 weeks old-doesn't mean he really was!  So
he has grown and I am happy!!  X-rays showed no break in the leg!!  (Thank
you ferret God!).  The Vet thinks it is a bad strain in the knee area and
has ordered a week of confinement and limited activity!  This is one of
those times where I wish I did have a third one as I am sure it will be
just as hard on Tyson not having a buddy to romp with as it will be for
Einstein!  Einy is in a small cage beside the big one so they can see each
other!!  My what sad little faces we have!!  Breaks the heart!  A week sure
sounds like a LONG time!!  Since we were doing x-rays today, we decided go
to ahead and do another chest x-ray on Einstein.  For those interested,
the Vet is still convinced that his heart is undersized!  Although he has
gained weight, his heart is still a little tiny thing!  I guess nothing to
be done there but watch him close!!  As for those who responded to my
concerns about the HEAT and leaving my guys alone for most of the day for
the 2 days I have to be gone this coming week-I have decided not to risk
anything and will be taking them down for my Mom to watch!  Only now there
are 2 cages instead of one to lug around!!  But better safe than sorry!!
Dook to all!

DELLA and the TUMBLEWEEDS
Tyson and li'l tiny limpin' Einy!