From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:03:02 EST
As far as health hazzards, I know of none other than the fact that a ferret
can carry small colds.  A dog can carry Strep readily and can transfer
to humans (which is greatly underestimated).  There may be other things
a dog can carry such as colds, etc..  Cats are the animals to take care
with around pregnant individuals as well as babys, as they can carry
Toxoplasmosis (this is the chronic virus that for almost a year devastated
Martina Navritilova's tennis career), and cat scratch fever.  I am not sure
what else they may carry.  To my knowledge ferrets may carry a cold period.

If you are fearful of safety... you should be as with any animal including
a hamster..  I kid you not.  Ferrets have teeth and can bite, but are not
as apt to bite in my opinion as say a Cat that can be very defensive and
who's teeth are just as big and bigger.  Cat's can scratch etc also.
Ferrets claws can scratch, but not as badly as a cat's can.  If a dog gets
angry... a dog can cause well... "extreme" damage.  I need not go into
detail there.

An animal should be supervised when around a child.  The child is probably
more likely to hurt a ferret after a few months of age, but things can
still happen.  It amazes me how people will leave their cats, dogs, etc
alone with babies endlessly, yet freak out over the notion of a ferret
being with them.

I know this sounds like I'm bashing cats and dogs ..I'm NOT, I love them,
I'm just comparing ok?  Ferrets are wonderful with children.  But care
should be taken with a baby....just as you should with any other animal
including a cat or dog.  to give perspective.... show your fiance this bite
fact sheet/chart....which is scientific and not just my opinion.  it speaks
for itself.

http://www.acmeferret.com/infobank/biteinfo.htm
Ferret Bite Fact Sheet

Wolfy