From:
Belchazzar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 May 1996 09:33:41 -0500
>From:   Mark Michael <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret proofing?

Well, I can say that *I* don't believe Ferrets are like Cats and Dogs (I.e.
leave them out all day unsupervised).  When I only had 2 ferrets, letting
them out unsupervised while I was home was a hazard.  Here is why I feel
this way... First, One Friday night...Over a year ago, while I was say
(incompacitated;somewhat) Paelon (2 1/2 Male Sable) managed to get trapped
under a pull-out couch.  During a quit moment when the TV went silent and
no-one was talking, I heard a Choke sound.  I pulled up the couch in Horror
and found Paelon hanging upside down, dangling from the couch and blood on
the floor.  I totally freaked!  He was completely Limp and breathing
shallow.  I called a ride, cause I couldn't drive <G>, and rushed him to the
emergency vet clinic.  He was more freaked out by me than the accident when
he woke up.  We were lucky!

Not even 4 months after that on a Sunday Morning.  Our 2nd Fert Diana,
Albino Female 1 year 8 month old (now) came tearing down the hallway making
her 'freaked out' sound.  She run under the couch and managed to get wedged.
She started drooling and couldn't keep her eyes open.  I rushed her to the
Emergency Vet and the Vet said Diana had fluid in her lungs.  This could be
a sign of electrocution.  I carefully searched the house and found no bitten
wires.  There was a multiplug (spikebar) in Michelle's office that was on
and sitting in the floor.  The only thing we could guess is Diana stepped on
it and put her toes in the plug.

My house is fairly ferret proofed (Cabinet-locks, tall blocks, stuffed open
holes, etc; ) The only ferret I have that will eat cord is Paelon.  The only
time he does it is when he feels sick (He bites Telephone Cord).  We have
found our ferts in the tops of closets, Under the bathtub(they found
plumbing access I didn't know about), on shelves, on the counter, Dresser
Drawers.  My experience is that Ferrets are very,very persistent, Moreso
than probably a 2 year old human.  [Even Children give up eventually].  I am
sure that there are plenty of people who think it is cruel to keep the
ferrets in a cage while not under supervised play.  (which mine get 1 to 2
hours (sometimes more) a day in a vacant back bedroom) While they were loose
they would play hard for a few hours and go hide somewhere to sleep.  (they
sleep alot).  We would gather them before bed and we always found them
sleeping.  The way I look at it, It's safer to know where they are sleeping
when they are not playing.  Playtime is alot more intense now than it was
before Our new baby (anastasia) will run to the back bedroom when she gets
out.  They all have their own treasure troves (toy stash zones) in the
bedroom and lots of toys.  Paleon's amazing toilet paper roll collection (up
to about 22 now) is in there.  Thanks for listening and I hope it helps.

  Phillip and Michelle
  Paelon, Diana and Anastasia