From:
"Tea` McKinney" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 22:44:23 EDT
Miss "N", NKA Nicoletta, was part of a transport that almost wasn't.
Thanks to some wonderful friends who drove from FL to MD to help Barb
with this rescue, we were able to salvage the transport at the nth hour
and 6 ferrets found their way to new homes, most went as far as TX.
Nicoletta is living with me in Alabama.

If you have seen the pics of the ferrets taken during intake, you know
my Nicoletta was in bad shape.  Her caption reads, "in need of hospice &
dignity".  That pic broke my heart.  Before I was even approved to bring
her home, I asked Barb about doing adrenal surgery at the same time as
her spay.  I was assured that all ferrets would have any medical needs
taken care of once they were in surgery.  Nicoletta did indeed get
spayed, had her left adrenal gland removed, and nodules were removed from
her pancreas.  I have the records from the Falls Rd. veterinary practice
to prove it.  I don't need those records though, the little girl that
lives with me now is not the poor ferret in that pic.  She is a fully
furred, fat, sassy, and playful to the extreme.  Although almost any
petstore would label her a biter.

Nikki is experiencing almost everything for the first time, much like
a kit.  Like a kit, everything must be tasted.  Unlike a kit, she has
pretty powerful jaws.  Unlike a kit, almost everything frightens her--
loud noises, sudden movements.  She grew up in a dark and quiet place,
the newness of life frightens her.

When I saw that pic of her I wondered what kind of idiot would breed a
ferret that looked like that.  Now that I see her healthy, I almost (not
quite, but almost) understand...she is beautiful.  Almost all of the
yellow is gone from her now and her nearly pristine white coat almost
sparkles.

When I brought Nikki home she was a bit nippy with hands and feet.  This
morning she gently grabbed my finger and tried to pull me into her hidey
hole.  She thinks I'm a treasure.  I know she is.

Tea`