From:
Holly DiMeglio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 11:56:27 -0900
>Mr. Ferret sucks on Tweaks ear when he is sleeping.  I do not understand
>this behavior.  Mr Ferret will start out by tugging on his ear or neck
>until he gets him in the right postion...then he will get to sucking
>hours at a time.  If Tweak tries to move, Mr. Ferret will literally
>attack him....even pull him by the neck just to get him back into the
>hammock.  I am worried that this is hurting Tweak.  Has anyone ever
>experienced this behavior?  Is it normal?

I'm not sure what's going on here either, but I have had 2 ferrets that
have done that.  The first few times I saw it, it seemed cute.  Then I
noticed that my one guy being sucked on actually had a "hard" spot
develop.  To make a long story short, it abscessed & ended up costing $100
to treat.  I thought I had jumped on this fairly quickly & was surprised
by the severity of it all.  I have one now that occasionally sucks on one
of the other ferrets, but not nearly to the degree that the other one did.
I monitor this very closely now, but do not understand it at all.  (He
hasn't done it in weeks).  If anyone can enlighten us, it sure would be
appreciated!

Holly
Perrin "move over here, lick,lick.  No come over this way, lick, lick,
lick.  Hold still!!!!  Lick, lick, lick, lick.  That's it, just lay
there & go to sleep, lick, lick, lick, lick."