From:
Katherine Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1993 13:31:09 -0400
I've been told twice in the past week that Utah had legalized ferrets
about a month ago, which caught me by surprise because I don't remember
reading this on the FML.  Then yesterday I got the latest Weasel Help
Monthly with a flyer stuck in it saying that Utah legalized ferrets at the
beginning of June.

Mark Oullette (sorry if I butchered the spelling) -- congratulations on
this effort -- I know how involved you were in it -- and is there any more
to the story?

This brings the infamous Ferret-Free Zone down to just four states:
California, Massachusetts, Michigan and Hawaii.  Plus the nebulous status
in New York City and Washington, D.C.  I understand the case in California
has been delayed again.  What's happening in Mass. and NYC?  In Michigan,
I have a lawyer friend who visited us recently, fell in love with our
quintet, and has since joined the legalization effort there.  Haven't any
details, though I know he had a long conversation with Micki Wingate of
the Great Lakes Ferret Association.  I'll try to get an update from him.

Also, some time ago, I read a rumor that Maine had banned ferrets, but
never got confirmation or denial.  Does anyone know the current status of
ferrets in Maine?

Legally yours :-)
Katie, Jeff, Bandit, Molly, Charlie, Pogo & Sigmund
Katie Fritz
Small Mammals Section Co-Leader/CompuServe Pets Forum
Internet: [log in to unmask]  CIS: 71257,3153