From:
sheena staples <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 21:09:11 -0800
Bill Killian wrote>
>This is not uncommon.  ... We constantly rearrange the ferrets as they
>decide who they do or don't like at any given time.  We usually don't
>recommend more than one male together as this is normal.  Of course I hear
>that things are completely different on the West coast (seriously).  We
>have only one pair of boys that get along well enough to room together -
>but they don't get along with anybody else.

Yep, our West Coast ferrets are waaaaay more relaxed.  Actually, after years
of observing ferrets (neutered ferrets) our conclusions ARE totally
different.  We have almost no problems putting males together at all.  All
my males are great friends.  However, females are a different matter.  We
have a heck of a time introducing females into a home with existing females.
We notice that the females will grump about a new male for a bit but get
over it pretty fast.  The females flip out about new females though and go
through lots of screaming/fighting/spraying before things calm down.  We
have a heck of a time finding homes for our female rescues because people
with existing females don't want the hassle and trauma of introducing
another one into the fold.

The odd time we have gotten in a pair of females who will tolerate nobody
else at all, except each other.  But I have only ever had one male that
absolutely could not be persuaded to accept other ferrets, in comparison to
several females that were with us forever until we could find them single
ferret dwellings.

We've got 2 females/ two males in one cage (that took a long time to work
out - Mazzy and Sophie took an immediate dislike to one another and still
squabble over sleeping arrangements) and 3 males/ 1 female in another (all
great buddies, Joop, BooBoo and Ashley were the Original Three and Paczek
sorta wormed his way in).  Willie sleeps alone, because he doesn't like to
share litterbox space with anyone else.

Sheena
GVFIS, WFHH
FAGV and FFCR