From:
Lindsay Watt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2011 01:05:42 -0400
On September 10th, at about 11 AM, a large piece of my heart danced
across the Rainbow Bridge. I helped release my princess Slinky from
the body that could no longer contain so much royalty.

Roo and Slinky adopted me on November 20th, 2009. They were my first
ferrets and they taught me so much. Their old momma was very sick and
made the difficult decision to find them a new home before things
became worse. I saw the post their foster mum put up for them on Pet
Finder and I nervously sent in my application. I was later to learn
that the moment their foster mum read my application she knew we would
be the family for her friend's special babies. I was so excited the
entire ride, and my breath caught in my chest when I laid eyes on
them for the very first time. Roo stood by their cage while Her Royal
Highness turned her head from the coziness of her hammy. I won't lie
when I say I shook the first time I held them. They had me wrapped
around their claws from the first step in the room. The whole ride
home I watched them sleep, happy butterflies buzzing around my tummy.

I was quick to learn the truth about the warning I received about
Slinky. "Don't sit on the toilet with her around! She'll bite your
bottom good!" I made a note to never do that, but that was extended
to all large, white, and shiny objects including washers and driers.
She also was a champ at Lick Lick CHOMP! That was her favorite game,
I can tell you. She'd chase after your ankles if given half a chance.

I'll NEVER forget the first time she danced for me. I knew about War
Dances, I had watched videos online. But nothing prepared me for the
1.5 lb bundle of gorgeous tan and chocolate fur that came bouncing at
me with her mouth wide open. My life flashed before my eyes and I never
thought I'd make it out in one piece! She never danced much but when
she did, she DANCED.

She was Alpha and never gave up a chance to remind everyone of that.
I remember her chasing and going after my 3.5 lb "nephew" [RIP
Corrick <3] who thought it was all good fun. Just because they were
over half her size never stopped her. Slinky would have to go in
Time-Out whenever my "niece" came over. She never was very good at
playing with girls. I remember her having to be on her harness and
lease and being grumpy that Fehrago was cruising around HER room.

Then the insulinoma hit. She was on pred only a short while before the
seizures returned and she was put on diazoxide as well. We began twice
daily soupies as well, as she had more or less stopped eating kibble
often. We didn't mind though. She made that happy "stinky" face as she
gulped it right down. All was good for 5 months before life came to a
stand still. Her poops became loose and one day turned black. She was
put on a regiment of meds and I began a strict regiment of food and
meds every 4 hours, sometimes getting 2-4 hours of sleep a night. Our
vet was hopeful- if we could get her over the ulcer then she would want
to eat and her bg would straighten out. We fought so hard, pushing the
food and meds. Maybe tomorrow the black would go away for good. Every
time it seemed to get better and she'd eat a little on her own it would
all come crashing. I refused to give up until she began grinding her
teeth. There she was, insulinomic, adrenal, with lymphoma, an ulcer,
and a stomach virus. I couldn't keep putting her through it all.
Supposing we could somehow magically get her over the ulcer- then how
long would she have left? We decided to wait until the next day so she
could have one more night with her brothers and sister.

I helped her to the bridge, cradled to my chest with words of love. She
closed her eyes and that was all. She was ready to go. There is a raw
hole left and a heaviness in my chest, but I know she's free of pain
and whole now. My Slinkadinks was the most gorgeous ferret I've ever
seen, and she knew it. She was our Princess, not the Queen because the
Queen has to work for a living.

Oh Slinky, momma loves you. I'll see you again, I promise. You be a
good girl up at the Bridge. No fighting, you hear?

-A heartbroken Lindsay and the remaining Wicked Weasels: Roo, Marley,
Zoey, Capone, Bugsy, and Lily

-Forever one ferret away from crazy ferret lady-