From:
Florence Love <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 13:52:37 -0400
It has been a tough road these last two months since Pebbles was operated
on to removed the lump on the front of her throat and was diagnosed with
Cryptococcosis (a fungal disease).  We've had her on a medication that is
called Itraconazole.  The most known side effect of this drug, is that it
causes the patient to lose interest in food, and eating.  As luck would
have it my Pebbles was definitely going to prove that the Pharmacy was
correct, and she started losing weight.  I had to start having to push
her to eat extra chicken gravy two or three times a day.  She still was
4 ounces down from her original weight and was getting very lethargic.

I talked with my vet, and asked questions of the FHL.  Nothing helped.
Then I remember Mary Conley having posted here a long time ago.  I use
herbs and vitamins for myself, and I listened to Dr. Murray at the Ferret
Symposium and started my fuzzies on Melatonin Implants (and what a
WONDERFUL difference!!!), and hear several Vets there talked about Milk
Thistle being good for ferrets with liver disease.  Soooo, why not see
what Mary had.  Well, a couple of days ago she posted about a product she
makes called "Essence of Galanthus".  My sweet Pebbles has been on this
for over a month, and the difference in amazing!  I continued to feed her
chicken gravy two a day, gave her the correct amount of Vet prescribed
Itraconazole, and I added drops of the Essence of Galanthus morning and
night.  I've stopped feeding the extra morning feeding, because she has
gained over 5 ounces, and is wrestling and pinning down my almost 4 lb.
boys!!!  She is back to war dancing on her Daddy on the bed, and staying
out and playing instead of hiding.  Now, the vets all say that she will
need to be on the Itraconazole for atleast another 5 or 6 months so that
the fungus is totally gone.  I do plan on finding out what is the right
amount of drops so that she won't be a porker... but it has started her
back to eating her kibbles and also eating her gravy without me forcing...
I am ever so grateful to Mary for her continued assistance.

I know that a lot of people on the FML tend to be very negative when
herbs, etc are discussed.  I've noticed in the last year or so that
several long term, known ferret authorities and owners have openly been
very biting an bitter when alternatives have been discussed.  I'm hoping
that these opinions will be put aside on behalf of the ferrets that we
love.  Ferrets have so little time with us that every day is precious.
My name isn't known on this board, but those who know me know the
absolute love and devotion I have for all fuzzies.  I want to let you
all know that Mary went out of her way to assistance and unknown ferret
lover, and she did something that the vets couldn't do.  Her dedication
to ferrets is high, and her desire to help is nothing short of total
devotion.  Her prices are so reasonable, I'm astounded!!  If you feel led
to contact her, I'm sure she will be there for you also.  Strange enough,
after seeing how much better our precious Pebbles with Mary's tinture,
even my husband is now more open minded.  What a Blessing!

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me ....

Florence Love