Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:01:35 -0500
Shelley, your ferrets sound like my Rocky.  He may be interested in a
new toy for a few minutes, but that's it.  He has consistenly loved the
Cy-purr Mouse; we're on our fourth one in 2 1/2 yrs.  He breaks them,
though I have to admit I broke one by stepping back and crushing it's
wheels.  I have become an expert at taking the thing apart to fix it.
They made an improvement on the tail; instead of gluing it on it actually
goes through a hole with a big part inside to prevent it from coming out.
Once the tail fall off, Rocky has no interest in it.  He's a total
control freak and likes to grab it by the tail and take it to wherever
he's sleeping.  He even puts it is MY bed under the covers!  The first
time I gave Rocky his newest one, he picked it up by the tail, ran into
the bathroom (his room) and dumped it in his water dish LOL!  It's a good
thing I know how to take these things apart, or I'd be buying a new one
every week.

Other new toys: I made a house out of cardboard boxes, with a hole
through the second floor and roof so Rocky can climb up to play with a
teaser or get a treat.  He was reasonably interested for awhile.  Then I
found a tree branch outside with a few flowers on it and stuck it down
through the hole.  Rocky really had fun exploring the tree and moving it
around, along with the house.

I also finally found something to put in Rocky's dig box since I got rid
of the dirt.  I bought $10 worth of plastic Easter eggs.  Then I throw in
a couple of pieces of cat food and he dives in to search for them.

It's really hard to keep these curious, intelligent creatures stimulated,
especially when you only have one.

To all of you who have picky eaters or insulinoma ferrets: Rocky is a
VERY finnicky eater and he liked Natural Gold immediately.  He actually
eats more frequently now, and he's never been a good eater as an adult.
And it's 50% protein and low on carbs, so it should be better than other
foods.  A guy I met at a Ferret Meetup said his insulinoma ferret is
doing much better after a month on the food.  He said his ferret is much
more lively and active.

Dooks to all and condolences to those who lost their precious furkids!

Shron & Rocky