From:
Minta Ruark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 1996 09:35:58 -0800
Concerning ferret sleeping habits: My ferrets Zooey and Elsa have discovered
an opened box in my closet (holding all my thesis notes, I'd like to think
they're just reading them, ha), and now they sleep there ALL THE TIME.  I let
them out at 6am, when I get up, and they play around me for oh, a half an
hour or so, and then wander into my closet.  They're asleep in the box when
I leave, and they're in the box when I get back, around 4p.m.  They must
move during those hours, right?  I see evidence of it in the litter box.

They dig down to the bottom, and I have to search through layers of
notebooks and random sheafs of papers to find them.  At least they're
keeping my thesis company, and quite warm too.

I don't know if they sleep too much; the person I adopted Zooey from told me
ferrets sleep around 15 hours a day, which is a lot.  But then, they use a
lot of energy when they are awake, and in keeping their bodies warm.

By the way, Zooey and Elsa are back on amoxicillin, in an attempt to fix
their runny behinds.  It's been five days and they're straightening out, I'm
hoping this will be the last set of antibiotics (third two week stretch of
amoxicillin in a row) they'll need.  This is one of the longest cases of
diarrhea their vet has seen.  He thinks it's unfortunate, but also
clinically interesting.  I just think it's unfortunate.

MJR