From:
"Sue M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 May 1998 10:16:14 +0000
National Pet Week starts May 3rd and runs through May 9th, sponsered by the
American Veterinary Medical Association....honoring pets of all sorts,
including the "Cow in the Classroom"... but ferrets weren't worthy of being
included!

Why?

The Coordinator didn't know that ferrets are now reputed to be America's
third most popular pet!

Why?

Because the JAVMA doesn't have that many articles on ferrets.

Why?

Probably because Vets aren't requesting them.

Why?

Probably because the average ferret owner (and the people on this list are
hardly average) doesn't take their ferret to their vet!

Hey, if Cows in the Classroom are worthy pets, surely the third most
popular pet in the U.S.  (one of which is digging in my box of Rice
Krispies, excuse me, he's just moved on to the bag of Tostitos...no, my
shoes...um, well, you get the idea), are!  We can't fault them for not
knowing though!

What can we do?  I don't have permission to publish the coordinator's name
and contact info, but I can get it to you if you e-mail me.  She needs to
know what we're doing for National Pet Week this year so we can be included
next year.  If you don't already have an event planned, just take your
ferret for a walk in the park if you don't live in a FFZ.  If you do, maybe
write a letter..to the editor, to a legislator, whatever.

F.R.O.L.I.C.  , a ferret organization covering Minnesota, Western Wisconsin
and now North Dakota (oop, he's at my little flashlight now...) is launching
their Vet Survey.  Me, since I'm heading up the North Dakota branch, I'm
putting up posters announcing the branch, and I will, of course, be taking
my furkids places.

So, let's all get involved.  Do something, ask me for contact info, so we
can get in on (excuse me, I need to go save the CDs...) ahem, as I was
saying...so we can get in on the event next year, and make it on the big
poster with the Cows!

Sue M.  (chasing a white blur)
Tempest (renamed from Wild Child...was too tame a name) creating  havoc
Brit, Rosa, & Rocky....all soundly sleeping