From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 09:52:13 -0400
>From:    Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Question for Breeders<<

Sweet breeders - yes, small breeders do select for temperament.  I can place
my lips through the bars of any of my breeder ferret's cages and they will
kiss me - not a bite in the box load.  Small children can handle anyone
except nursing mothers, and I don't like them to nip either.  My males do
not rip out the back of females necks when mating either.

Outside breeding - I'm personally against that.  I live in Virginia and I
have a jill on a screened in porch right now with her litter and I will feel
much better relocating her indoors come the end of October.  I don't mind
the smell of hobs so I don't mind them indoors.  Outdoors - ferrets are
susceptible to heartworm from mosquitoes, rabies from stray pets and wild
animals looking for food, weather conditions, where do you plan run and
socialization time, and protect from freezing and over heating?

Other MI breeders - contact the GLFA or look at the STAR* listing.

===

Food debate:

The Food Comparison Chart is now available on Ferret World - I have NOT had
time to proof read it, but since so many people are concerned if Iams or
Totally Ferret or 8 in 1 or any other quality food is safe or right to feed
their ferrets, I think that you all should take a look and see for yourself
that there are MANY foods very similar in design that are fit for ferrets,
labeled such or not.

BTW, this chart was designed before I incorporated the new Eukanuba for
cats.  I've tried this food with my nursing jill and she loved it.

I still advocate a mix of foods BTW, and I use Totally Ferret, Iams, Pro
Plan and 8 in 1 (when I can get the 20 pound bag...).

The Food Comparison Chart is located at:

  http://ferret-world.csc.peachnet.edu/STAR/foodchartp1.html

            ..............peachnet.edu/STAR/foodchartp2.html

Let me know of any changes that need to be done.

>From:    "March, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Blackfoots, dietary notes

>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>

>Whereas the black-footed ferret is nice to look at, those of us in
>California don't need the incorrect information that our domesticated
>ferrets are related to the black-footed ferrets advertised.

>Anon, they *are* related, close enough to breed and produce fertile young.
>About as close as dog and wolf, or housecat and bobcat.

The domestic ferret is genetically incapable of producing ANY kind of
offspring with the Black-footed Ferret.  BFF can mate with polecats and
produce fertile young, and domestic ferrets can mate with polecats and
produce fertile young, but I have FURO info that says the BFF and domestic
ferret can not reproduce, otherwise that would have been the choice of the
BFF breeding program in foster mothers and release trials (that is why they
are using Chinese polecats instead).

Mo Bob - back me up on this!!!!!!

Pam Grant