From:
dana marsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 20:54:46 -0400
Ok, I read the list everyday, and really enjoy it!  But i have to vent
about something, so here it goes...About the prarie dog issue, those of
you that are not aware....I cannot beleive this issue about monkeypox
has gotten so out of control!!  I personally have a 2003 baby, and he is
loving, and is not sick in anyway.  These people that are trying to
squeeze the publicity out of these babes are doing something very
harmful, escpecially that now they have found the third prarie dog that
had been exposed to the gambien rat.

these little guys were taken from the prarie in Texas to be saved, a deal
was cut with the farmers that if the babies are taken he will not poison
the babies and their colonies, leaving enough prarie dogs to add to our
much needed eco system, without the prarie dogs there would be a great
damage and injustice to our environment, but in colonies after colonies
they get to be pests.  They are not carriers of anything!  These babies
were taken out of the holes away from their moms and dads to be saved,
now because someone had a rat that had the disease and spread it to the
prarie dog, i think alot of people think that its the prarie dogs fault,
and its not...I have a friend that deals in prarie dogs and her business
is hurting, and these babies are hurting because people are scareed to
death, she receives daily abuse from the public, the cdc, and they are
very cruel threats.  This could of happened to a ferret, guniea pig, cat
dog, what have you, but since it happened to a prarie dog, all of a
sudden its DOWN WITH THE PRARIE DOGS!!  I think its crap, why should one
animal be banned, when they were not the first to start the problems in
the first place.  They are also fixed just like the ferrets so there is
no fear of real overpopulation, i guess i dont get what people dont
understand, the rat bit the prarie dog, not the other way around
sighhhhhh,

thanks for listening, dooks to all,

Alexandria, you crack me up,

Loving my ferrets and prarie dog......