From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2010 18:13:38 -0500
I noticed today that all three of the ferrets Steve and I can recall
who used to try to get into spicy foods all gradually developed
intestinal problems that became serious over the years. Now, I do NOT
think that the spicy foods are to blame because we tried to keep them
away from those ferrets. What I am wondering is if all were garbage
bellies who would eat things they should not like dropped cereal,
dropped nuts, dropped veggies, etc. . We know for sure that Hubble was
inclined to grab what he should not but luckily did not block due to
them. He always had a terrible garbage belly. It has been some time
since we had the other two who did not reject spicy foods. Perhaps some
ferrets have messed up taste abilities and are more prone to eating
things they should not? I am wondering if that might be genetic at
least at times or always behavioral. Has anyone seen certain genetic
lines more likely to eat what they should not? BTW, there does seem to
be one taste difference which is genetic. Ferrets who have complete
white mitts and complete white bibs are far more likely to be
interested in peppermint things like candies than any others. That was
a topic on Ferret-Genetics in the past. Maybe there is more than one
tasting difference which is genetic in ferrets. Certainly, other people
have noticed that ferrets with garbage belly are more likely to develop
intestinal problems; that has been an FHL discussion within the last
few years at least once.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/