Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2009 13:20:09 -0500
>LOL! Okay, so that people don't overly worry. I've had extreme myopia
>(extreme nearsightedness) for ages, and it's been bad enough that for
>over 30 years I've been legally blind

Well, as long as you make it legal ..

>WITHOUT glasses but luckily even now I correct pretty well, not as
>well as I used to, but I'm not complaining about what I get. Glasses
>are great!

Yah, 'specially when you wear cool looking specs making you look like
Ozzie Ozbournes sister. Rock on!

>Since I have heard that someone is giving an absolutely whacky

I swear to God I had nothing to do with any such whackyness! I don't
"do" whackyness. We all know that here.

>and untrue "explanation" for why my eyes are as they are, I'll take a
>bit of time telling about some eye problems I have and how they are
>handled. The reason I am annoyed about that rumor when i ignore so
>many other rumors related to me is because it insults my excellent
>care givers.

>Now, nearsightedness is caused by a change in the shape of the
>eyeball, and if it is extreme enough that has its own considerations
>over long enough time. As the vitreous gel in the eye thickens with
>age it can tear and sometimes tug on the retina (which is why if
>anyone here ever sees what looks like bouts of lightning in your eye
>you need to get the retina pretty much immediately checked to be
>safe; usually if the symptoms don't include folds in vision or loss
>of visual field the appt will be the same day but not immediately,
>whereas if those additional symptoms exist you will be seen right
>away).

Oooooooh, I see bolts of lightening, dude. But not for those reasons!

>That can be more pronounced if a person has been very nearsighted
>for a long time. Sometimes it can even result in the vitreous gel
>completely separating from the retina. That also causes a need for
>checking the retina, and also a complete separation can damage the
>macula so that needs to be checked. Obviously, if either has great
>enough damage then repair is needed. Complete vitreous separation is
>unusual in those who do not have extreme myopia but pretty common with
>extreme nearsightedness. Usually it happens pretty slowly so people
>may not notice it. I had symptoms: a shadow down the center of my
>vision when both eyes were used, and a sudden closing in that went
>beyond the peripheral vision loss I've had from glaucoma.

What you were seeing was actually the Impending doom from the
tarradiddling on the FML (oh shut up, I can conjugate a noun if I
feel so inclined, I'm Da Wolfy, not that i"m pulling any whackyness
mind you ...).

>Those symptoms went away over several weeks, and the macular hole I
>have from it is tiny and stable so not a concern unless it changes.

Translation: Sukie has a hole in her head. But she is stable. By the
way, this is not news, Sukie.

>Glaucoma is a different problem. It is damage to the optic nerve.

Oh you have what my great grandparents called, "nerves".

>Most forms have increased eye pressure (ocular hypertension), but
>there is an exception.

>Translation, Sukie is under a great deal of pressure.

>Ocular hypertension that does not go over a certain point and does not
>involve any loss of peripheral vision can exist without glaucoma. The
>optic nerve can be imaged, too,

meaning I can whip out one of my 2,3, or 4 well known cameras and take
pictures to send you via phone or youtube. Not sure if a an uncovered
nerve would be eye porn and break the terms of service however ...

>and other tests done. According to excellent resources like the
>Glaucoma Foundation http://www.glaucomafoundation.org/ most cases
>of ocular hypertension do not progress into glaucoma. I had ocular
>hypertension for something like 15 years before I began having
>peripheral vision loss.

Lol, yeah right ... Time adjustment: back in the days of the great
pioneers. Or for you Europeans, the days when those crazy Britts
shoved ferrets down their pants while sharing a pint.

>In my case my highest pressures seem to happen during sleep.

No comment.

>We monitored it closely, of course.

Oh I just bet you two did.

>As soon as it became obvious that I was following the normal course
>for Dad's family (where every sibling had glaucoma) treatment began.
>There are four classes of drops for glaucoma. I can't use one class
>due to being allergic to it. There is a second one I can't use
>because I have asthma. A third class has worked quite well for me.

Yet more classes from Sukie ...

>Over time I have progressed to the strongest drop in that class.

No way! You dropped in class?

>The fourth med grouping didn't work for me at all. Finally, I also
>had laser surgery

I just knew you were a Star Wars geekazoid. Where do you keep your
light saber ... really. Wait . don't answer that.

>while continuing drops and that will be repeated as needed as many
>times as it can be, then there is the option of a more invasive and
>trickier operation. People vary in how well treatments work, but
>in the vast majority of cases catching glaucoma in time prevents
>blindness. The sad thing is that so many are not caught in time.
>
>Astigmatism is from an irregular curvature of the eye.

Translation, Sukie is very "curvey", oo-la-la!

>Presbyopia is just "aging eyes". Most people deal with that.

Translation, Sukie is old as sh*t!!!!

>There. Hopefully, someone learned something useful beyond that 90% of
>rumors on the internet are typically false. (Really, ignore rumors for
>your sakes and others'.)

>And now with apologies for taking up time

Oh puh-lease, you're not sorry!

>and space about my own eyes I will tell you a bit about albino ferret
>eyes because albino ferret eyes are studied to learn about the eyes of
>humans with albinism. So, here are references from a great resource
>with some on BOTH pigmented and nonpigmented ferret eyes:

I call Cheater!!! BIIIIIIIIIIIG ... She's cheat-in'! ::pointing my
finger:: She's trying to slide this in by bringing up ferrets at the
end. She didn't even put forth the effort of inserting "Ferret"
between each sentence. Ferret.