From:
Cheri Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 20:54:06 AMERICA/FORT_WAYNE
I rarely get to see ferrets other than my own, aside from the babies Petco
always has, so I never realized how big my boy Chadley is until the first
time I took him to a ferret-knowledgable vet, and the staff there marvelled
over his size.  He's a five year old MF boy, so he must have been neutered
very young (although he didn't come to me until he was an adult), and he
weighs in at a little over five pounds.  And it isn't *all* fat, although
he does love to eat <g>.  His "sister", Dana (also a MF baby), is about
one-third his size and appears to have reached her full growth at eight
months of age.  I know female ferrets are naturally small in comparison to
males, but she seems tiny to me.  They eat Iams kitten with TF (when I can
get it), supplemented with Ferretvite and Ferretone (their favorite
treats), so I feel she's gotten adequate nutrition.  How big should an
adult female be, and at what age do they usually stop growing?

Also, when we got Dana as a small kit, she was a nipper.  She quickly
learned that was not acceptable behavior but she still can't resist toes -
people toes, the cats' toes, any toes at all.  I have very sensitive feet
and although she doesn't bite them hard, I cannot *stand* having my toes
nipped.  I'm afraid in my attempts to get my toes away from her teeth I'm
going to accidentally step on her one of these days.  I can hardly walk
through a room without her gleefully chasing after my feet.  I have tried
telling her "NO", I have tried time-outs, but either she can't get it
through her head to leave the toes alone or just finds them too
irresistable, and I feel badly that she ends up spending too much time in
her cage after nipping mine.  (The time-outs tend to be consecutive.) Has
anyone else dealt with a similar problem?  Maybe it's just something she'll
outgrow in time....

Cheri Johnson
Chadley - "When do we eat?"
Dana - "Lemme at those toes!"
The eight kitties - "Quick!  Hide your toes!  The ferrets are out!"
Alex the dog - "Can you get this weasel out of my food?"