From:
katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2009 07:52:41 -0500
I think we all have a different perspective on whether it is
appropriate to keep ferrets in the garage, or outdoors, etc. I guess
the first thing would be to define what a garage is. To ME, a garage is
a place where you store your outdoor tools, paints, coolers, etc. and,
if there's room, even your car(s). A garage is not heated or cooled
and often only has the large door that goes up and down, no smaller
doors, no windows. They often have concrete floors and sometimes even
unfinished walls. I live in Florida. Whenever I hear of anyone keeping
a pet in the garage, my radar goes WAY up! I have known people to keep
their dogs in the garage when they're gone during the day. That upsets
me a gret deal. A garage, in Florida, is way too freakin' hot for
ANYTHING alive, even if there are windows to open!! Even in the winter
it will often get too warm, IMO. The cold is another matter. But, even
in N. Florida, we occasionally have nights below 20F, and I personally
think that's too cold for my pets, though they might love it.

Often people will turn their garage into a "shop", which I consider to
be in between a garage and a room (finished garage). It is primitive,
not a part of the finished home, but is often heated and cooled with a
few amenities normally not found in a garage. However, given that it is
a shop, I would be concerned about what is stored in there and would
worry about fumes, etc. And, if it's used for woodworking, painting,
or similar hobbies, I would be very concerned about particles in the
air and fumes.

A finished garage, to ME, is no longer a garage. It is a completely
finished room that used to be a garage but is now part of the house;
heated and cooled, finished walls, flooring, etc. It transformed from
OUTSIDE to INSIDE. It is no longer an issue or a subject of discussion,
and should no longer even be called a garage.

My pets would NEVER live in my garage. They wouldn't live in my shop.
They would live in my finished garage (which is now a finished room
and no longer a garage).

If a garage (as I have defined it) is the only place I could keep my
pets, I would either have to find another place to live, or re-home
my pets.

Katharinne
Florida