Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 2008 11:07:15 -0400
We have to be smarter than the vets. If you want to know why they're
doing something, ask. If you think they should be doing something, tell
them. It's your pet. Vets don't know everything, and certainly not
about ferrets. Don't be afraid to ask or say something. Your pet's
life is in your hands. We're all continually learning about them.

If your ferret has had diarrhea or is dehydrated, insist that the vet
sub-q with fluids immediately if they are not planning to. Do not wait
to have tests run. Sub-q immediately. This can be the difference in
how quickly a ferret recovers and can help offset renal failure.

Remember that vets are in business to make money. They will often run
tests without asking and you end up with a high bill. Tell the vet you
want to keep the bill as low as possible and to discuss with you any
tests that need to be done.

For example, one of my ferrets recently had a pancreatomy. The vet also
removed some small cysts from the body cavity. He recommended the cysts
be sent for biopsy. The ferret is 5 1/2 years old; so I knew if it was
cancer, we weren't going to treat it. I asked what were the odds it was
something that was a problem. The vet said very low. I asked if it was
a problem, what were the odds it would be something besides cancer. The
vet said negligible. So, if I had followed his recommendations, I would
have paid $120 for biopsies that weren't needed.

I had a vet who recommended treatment on two ferrets (different times),
only to find out within a couple of weeks that the ferrets couldn't be
treated and should have been put to sleep right away. The bottom line
is the vet was trying to make money from the treatment until the animal
had to be put to sleep. This is a business for them. It's not just
about taking care of the animals.

Vets are notorious for wanting to keep the ferret overnight. Sometimes
this necessary; most of the time it is not. Always ask if the ferret
absolutely has to stay overnight. The ferret is generally going to be
more comfortable and less stressed at home. If the ferret isn't on an
IV, chances are good you can take care of it at home overnight the same
as the vet would, possibly even better since you're there all night and
watch it and feed it.

Ask for medications in quantity, so they will be cheaper. Most vets
carry only cherry flavored Prednilisone, which ferrets hate. I asked
about unflavored. They didn't want to carry it, but I could order it
directly from the distributor with their prescription. I paid $31 with
shipping for 60 ml, which would have cost me nearly three times that
at  the vet.

Never ever let the vet put the ferret to sleep unless it must be done.
Ferrets don't take anesthesia well and there's always a risk of death
or problems. If the ferret is sick, some vets try to put it to sleep
to draw blood or to do other minor things.

I always take a towel to the vet's office to put on the examination
table. The tables are cold and slick, both of which are uncomfortable
to the ferret. If the vet insists on the ferret sitting directly on
the examination table, pick up the ferret and leave. This vet is not
looking out for the best interests of the ferret.

If your vet does not know what adrenal disease or insulinoma is, find
another vet. The vet doesn't know enough about ferrets to be treating
them.

Debbie