From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 14:05:15 -0400
>I just got off the phone with MailBoxes ETC.  to see what delivery
>confirmation would run me and get this!  $6.95

If you look in pharmacies, stationary stores, and hardware stores you
will find that many carry small padded envelopes which are light weight
and designed for mailing out small items like CDs, discs, or photos.
They are mailing-ready, with easily sealed flaps, and places to put
addies and return addies.  The cost is about 35 to 55 cents each.
Postage is usually for one or two ounces depending on the envelope design
so also in the cents for regular postage.  If you decide to sent it
registered or certified (Can never keep those straight so ask each
blasted time...) postage plus that confirmation will run you about $2.00,
so you can send them out for around $2.50 down to perhaps even less than
a dollar each.  (My sister who is always complaining about not having
money recently paid one of the those packaging places almost $40 to send
out something that she could have packaged with free cardboard from a
liquor store, some mailing tape, a little bubble wrap which is cheap from
Staples, and a postage cost of between $10 and $15, so could have saved
more than half of the cost easily.)  I am sending this directly to you,
too.  I really DO advise trying the padded envelopes having learned the
hard way myself in the past!

>To make a long story short, there are far too many people out there not
>getting the ferret pennies I have sent

If the pennies didn't cost a lot you may find insurance on individual
mails to be prohibitive for something that inexpensive unless the buyers
agree to pay for it.  I suspect that using regular envelopes has been a
problem since those can tear in automated sorting if they have unusual
shaped or hard items in them and these had both.  Those inexpensive,
padded envelopes mentioned above should work like charms!

>I have been going thru MailBoxes ETC. on ALL my postal sendouts and
>such.  I called them the postal service... went to the REAL US Postal
>Service... Delivery confirmation... 50 cents!!!!!

Yes, you get a postcard back and pay for that and the postage by the
ounce.  The secondary places have to charge to pay for their rent,
payroll, insurance, taxes, etc.  on top of the mailing costs so the
convenience winds up costing a lot.  Some people need it, of course.
-----

>Morrison -
>Even though she broke her probation nothing has been done...
>in Boise ID when we were trying to get Spirit back (RIP).  She's probably
>in ID or UT somewhere now.  Don't know if the 501c3 is legit or not.

If she screwed (Forgive language.) people over with false claims then it
may that the IRS would respond to complaints about that and check her
out.  I have to also wonder if she claimed that what she had was a
non-profit charity and got breaks on her Utah state taxes as a result.
If so, then it may be that the state would pursue her harder for back
taxes owed the state (esp.  if they are still paying off the Olympics
costs), and on getting her then the prohibition violation could be added
on to the result.  Anyone in Utah want to politely follow-up on a
possible tax cheat?  Anyone here work for or know someone who works for
the IRS or Utah State Tax Authority/Dept.?  (Not likely with at least
one, but if so...)
-----

Re: Maine
Are you sure of this?  If memory serves, their state public health vet
for rabies policy said that they did in either 1998 or 1999.  It may pay
to check with that expert to find out what is going on.  Some states need
legislative changes to adopt such changes but some just need regulation
changes depending on the individual state; another thing that differs
state by state is how much autonomy the small health departments have.
It is IMPOSSIBLE to assume that the structure which serves one state in
this regard serves any other so unchanged regulations have no affect on
acceptance of the Compendium in many of the states.  Certainly, if Maine
requires a legislative change but hasn't had it then that NEEDS to be
pursued, as well may other subsets.  I can't afford to buy the directory
with this info in it every year but here is the 2001 contact info.
State Public Health Vets: Dr. Donald Hoenig and Dr. CW Ridky
State Vets:  Dr. Chip Riley and Dr. Donald Hoenig
Address and phone for each of these:  Dept of Agriculture, 28 State
House Station, Augusta, ME 04333-0028; 1-207-287-3701; fax 7548