From:
Juliana Quadrozzi - GA Domestic Ferret Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 13:12:46 -0400
Today I was watching Wild About Animals, an informational program about
various animal topics/concerns, on the Animal Planet network.  One of the
stories featured the Black Footed Ferret.  Several times during the segment
they showed a domestic sable ferret, all the while talking about BBFs.  They
never made any distinction between them, or that the domestic ferret being
shown wasn't a BBF.

The Animal Planet network viewer relations address is:
I sent the following e-mail...

          **********
Wild About Animals is an informative show that I've enjoyed from the start.
But I was very dissappointed with the episode I just watched which featured
a piece about the Black Footed Ferret.

For the mostpart, the content was accurate & the filming was excellent.  I
take exception to the domestic ferret, a companion animal which is
completely dependent on man & not a wild animal, being pictured with the
Black Footed Ferret.  There was no distinction noted between these 2
animals.

Ferret organizations throughout the US & Canada have put a great deal of
effort into educating the public to dispel the misconception that the
domestic ferret (mustela putorius furo) is a wild animal.  Why then would an
educational program like Wild About Animals show a domestic ferret in a
piece about the Black Footed Ferret (mustela nigripes) & not clarify any
distinction between the two?

There are very serious repercussions to this kind of incorrect information.
As a result of seeing this program, if domestic ferrets are released out of
doors becaused they are assumed wild, they will have just about no chance of
survival past a 4-day period of time.  They have even less of a chance if
left outside in extreme heat or cold.  Ferrets quickly succomb to starvation
& the elements, if not killed by dogs or traffic, without human intervention.

I feel that Wild About Animals was neglegent in this presentation.  I
realize that Animal Planet is not responsible for program content, so I
would appreciate if you would provide an e-mail or postal addresss for Wild
About Animals so that I can express my concern directly.

I look forward to your response.

Thank you.
Juliana
Frodo, Rocks, Anola Gay, SNAFU, FUBAR, Tabu, Chaos & Tuxedo