Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 1996 12:43:20 -0400
My trip to Michigan, by Pam Grant

Players:  Pam and John Grant, Mitch Cheeseman, Cali the dog, and a car full
of ferrets.

We started out on Thursday morning and drove to Oberlin, Oh to stay with a
fellow FMLer - Linda Iroff.  Her daughter, Joy, was ecstatic to have 14
ferrets in her room for the night.  Thank you for the hospitality.

We drove to the Detroit area by afternoon and checked into our hotel.  An
hour later they were asking us to leave - seems the general manager of the
Ramada decided that there should not be any animals in his hotel rooms.  So
why the special rate for ferret show attendees?  Did he really think that
people came to animal shows without animals to show?  So, after irate
protests, we all moved to the hotel next door, which had much nicer rooms
with fridges and microwaves.  More to follow on who to contact to complain.

The show went well on Saturday.  Karen Yaremkowych of WI took Best Kit.
Diane Bachman of MD took best Breeder, and Pokey Hob Goblin of Pet Pals, VA
(my seven year old gib) took Best Alter and Best Silver Ferret.  I missed
who had Best Handicapped ferret.  The awards were very nice stained glass
panels.

We got to see lots of old friends and make new ones.  All the STAR*
literature and Modern Ferret Magazines that I put out went very quickly.
There were very few ferrets for adoption, but lots of kits for sale.  The
vender room was big and roomy, and the ferret area was so full that I think
that a bigger hall will be needed for next time.

We visited with Debbie Miller on our way home, then drove straight through
back to VA (with stops for food and potty) and arrived in our drive at 12:30
AM.  I had 29 messages on my machine, and 52 people called according to my
Caller ID.

My kits are two weeks old (7 of them are left) and it is good to be back.  I
will spend today retrieving some ferrets from friends and returning calls
and e-mail.

Pam