Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 01:43:34 -0700
>Every year about this time, and other times in between, our shelter
>becomes a mouse resort.......................We would like a humane way
>to deal with these "guests" .............. Suggestions?

People with outdoor shelters may run into this or a similar problems (could
also be my cute rat friends), so I'll post a response on the FML instead
of sending a direct response.

Mice are looking for food, so you'll need to supply them with it.  Strong
smelling cheese really is a good choice, but since mice are opportunistic
feeders, they also eat veggies and fruits.  Cilantro, apples and bananas
can also be aromatic lures for mice.  Put a small supply of food into a
kitchen sized waste basket.  You can put a trail of peanut butter to the
waste basket.  Set up a "gangplank" to the top of the waste basket.  The
mice will jump in to get the food, but can't climb back out.  Take them
to a wooded area and let them go.  Repeat as often as needed. :-)

Sandi

PS: your cat is not a *humane* method of control :-(

PPS: BIG: Since I run the Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & FERRET House I am
mentioning "ferret" in this post. :-)

Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House
   dba House Rabbit Society
a non-profit animal shelter
14325 Lake City Way NE
Seattle, WA 98125
(206)365-9105
Open 7 days/week or visit our on-line store at:
http://www.rabbitrodentferret.org