From:
Natalie Binder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 18:01:22 -0700
Hi!  Me again (Natalie).  Here's an idea I've been pondering for a while:

                        The Ferret Bike Basket
MATERIALS (for one ferret)

1 chain dog leash (don't slam me just yet... more on this later)

1 bike basket (wicker works best, but if you don't mind a little extra
work any basket will do)

1 bike

Your ferret's harness

a willing ferret

wire cutters

the ring part of a key ring

a square of flannel or other cozy ferret blanket

1. Determine how much room you want you ferret to have in the basket
(depending on the size, about six inches will work. Measure this on
the dog leash from the "clip on" end.

2. Use the wire cutters to cut the link above where you measured in half.
Discard handle and other leftover parts.

3. Put the link end of the dog leash on the key ring (you should now have
about half of a chain dog leash hanging on a key ring with the link end
attached to the ring)

4. Push the key ring through the back of the inside of the basket so the
end of the ring is sticking out.  Now push this end back into the basket as
close as possible to the first hole.  (Now you should have the entire
leash-key ring on the inside of the basket)

5. Place a cozy ferret blanket (or two... or three) on the inside of the
basket (I've found that a square of plaid flannel works well as well as
looking nice and being easy to clean.).  When a ferret snuggles into this
it should look remarkably cute.

6. Training Time!  Let your ferret(s) play inside the basket.  After it
becomes a favorite toy (or napping place), carry you ferret around in it.
After your ferret is used to this, it's time for a bike ride!  Clip the
leash to your ferret's harness (this is really important.  The leash
secures the ferret in the basket, so there is no danger of it falling out
and getting run over), attach the basket to our bike, and ride!

Note: Your ferret may get a lot of attention from this.  This bike basket
is an excellent tool to show that ferrets are good-natured, friendly pets
and not the vicious wild animals they are often portrayed as

Signed,

Natalie
and the soon-to-be ferret Quincunx