From:
Michele Fitzgerald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 18:58:53 -0400
Dooks to all...
Has anyone had bad health experiences with obese ferrets?  My friend in NJ
has had a really bad experience with her very old ferret, and started
feeding him a Duck soup mix to keep his weight up.  He has since passed on,
but she insists on feeding all of her other healthy ferrets LOTS of duck
soup every day to, I guess, beef them up in case they get sick.  Now she
has 9 obese ferrets, I mean the little girls have rolls on their necks like
quarterbacks.  I've never seen ferrets so heavy, and cannot think of
anything to say to her to maybe change her mind a bit about why this might
not be a good idea because, frankly, I've never seen ferrets this BIG!
I've asked the vets I work for and I don't think they believe me about how
obese they really are, or there are just no studies out there on long-term
effects.  Any help would be appreciated....

To Michelle, why would your vet want to PTS the little guy if there is
nothing else wrong with him but a weight problem???  Perhaps a second
opinion would be in order...in the meantime try feeding him a duck soup
or a/d mix, (sure works for my friend's ferrets!).

Holly, I used to have a partner in NJ who would volunteer at the vets to
ease the bills of our shelter ferrets, she had no vet tech experience but
the vet had a small practice and needed the help.  Because you have
experience, this might be a good idea...best bet--pick up the phonebook
and start from there as opposed to want ads...

Aileen...pooped on the vet tech eh???  Yeah it happens ALL the time...
fuzzies really hate their temps taken and will sometimes scoot afterwards
along the table or floor...I wish we could invent a smaller thermometer<G>.

Lissette...YES you can get fleas...get some Advantage & treat the cat, your
ferrets, then it will be safe again to help him with car rides, etc.

Leslie...I really liked your ferret-owner list!!  The ferrets didn't
though.....they kept trying to delete it so I couldn't see through their
mind-control techniques and they say they want you banned from the FML
because you may be reminding us of the things that they have worked so
hard to establish here...like who gets the couch, the toys, the bed, the
raisins, the socks, etc.....Made MY day though!

Michele & the seven little tyrants....