Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 09:55:21 -0500
I was reading the AKC Gazette (a dog mag) yesterday, and came across an
interesting ad.  The ad was hard-core propaganda for a certain kind of dog
food that did not use wheat, corn, white rice or chicken.  Note that I said
"hard-core propaganada", as I am doing a disservice to pass this on without
that warning ;-) Anyhow, it suggested a problem that has affected the wheat
and corn harvest this year, which *may* explain the problems someone out
there was having with a vomiting ferret and Purina Pro Plan.  (Note, I had a
severe barfing cat problem with PPP myself; I don't wish to defame PPP but
this *may* be part of the puzzle...)

Before you read this, remember: I am not an expert; the ad is definately
propaganda; there is no concrete conection between PPP and the named problem
that is mentioned.  I simply found this ad interesting.  Here is an excerpt:

   "Recent television programs and newspapers have made the public aware
of toxins found in some wheat or corn-based dog foods that have made
animals sick.

   "Due to the recent heavy rains, some wheats developed toxins that made
dogs vomit. The FDA permits 1/2 parts per million.  The affected dog food
conatined 2-3 p.p.m., well over the federal law.  The toxic food had to be
recalled and buried under 18" of dirt in a landfill or incinerated.  The
toxic food was removed from the shelves May, June, and July.  By
September, it was still not back on the shelves.  By then, over 5 000 tons
had been recalled.

   "The nerve gas that killed people in the Japanese subway was made from
aflatoxins grown on wheat.  This toxic fungus grows so rapidly that it
could wipe out an entire city within a few days.

   "Some other wheat-based dog food companies voluntarily removed their
dog food from the shelves since they bought the wheat from the same area.
Then, the Dept. of Agriculture sent out warning letters that the aflatoxin
now appeared on corn.  The aflatoxin levels were in excess of 300 p.p.m.
The technical name of this toxin is vomitoxin since it makes the dogs
severely vomit and become dehydrated.  The FDA will not authorize its use
for feed."

...And so on;  the ad next targets white rice and chicken in a sell-by-fear
campaign.  The company would gladly send you more propaganda if you call
1-800-DOG-HUND.

Lynn.