From:
cyndi johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 May 2005 09:37:46 -0500
I began taking my 3 ferrets out for walks last winter and they loved it!!
We continue but now that it is so hot (we live in Alabama) I am concerned
about them.  They still enjoy the walks.....we to petco, to the park and
any other places that allow my babies.  I noticed that last weekend they
got "tired" really quick and didn't want to walk....they were holding
their mouths open and "playing dead".....I take water with me and they
can always stop and have a drink.  Is there something else I need to do
to make them more comfortable, are they ok in the heat as long as they
have water?  I saw some medicine that is for dehydration that you put
in there water...is it safe...should I use it?  My vet is unsure...her
ferrets do not leave the house she seems to think that as long as they
have water they should be ok.  we enjoy our walks so much that I would
hate to stop them but I also do not want them to have a heat stroke!!

Also...when we go out sometimes they get a pink flush around their eyes
and ears.....is this bad?  I have noticed that it happens when they are
extremely excited and also when they get frightened.

Cyndi Johnson
Celebrations Event Planning
744-9508