From:
"Snoberger, Christina M" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 16:37:03 -0500
I've seen several posts from people saying they hate their Midwest cage.
I've got three of them and I love them!!!  My fuzzies seem to like them too.
Sometimes I find them asleep on a level away from the other ferrets; other
times I find them all sleeping together.  With the multi-levels, they've got
the option to find a "quite" corner if they want it.

I have 3-4 hammocks in each of mine and I strategically place the hammocks
so that the ferrets can easily get from level to level.  Some members in our
club have even more hammocks than that in their cage.  Also, I don't use the
ramps the cage came with, instead I called the 1-800 number listed on the
sheet that came with the cage and ordered extra shelves (5 to be exact)
which makes 7 shelves in my cage.  In the middle of the cage I placed 3
shelves directly next to each other and it practically makes an entire other
floor.  If you're not into sewing, if you can find a really large pair of
jeans or sweatpants (at a garage sale or salvation army) you can cut off the
legs and slip the shelf through them before placing the shelf in the cage.
The fuzzies love to sleep in the part that hangs beneath the shelf.

Also, for the shelves that are placed individually (alone), I have bought
crock-locs (from Morton Jones Co 800-443-5769 or
www.ramonamall.com/mjones.html) which attach to the cage so that fuzzies
can't knock them off.  This leaves the larger floor spaces for cat beds,
sleep sacks, extra litter pan on the top level, etc.

However, if you don't want to use the ramps and your fuzzies are having
problems getting from level to level - I suggest going to the hardware
store, buying the sewer/drainage pipe - its a corregated plastic black pipe
with slits in it for breathing/circulation.  It's somewhat flexible and can
easily have holes drilled into it to loop rings through to attach to the
cage side.

I hope these suggestions help make your Midwest cage more enjoyable.

Chris Snoberger & the "Romper Room" (17 ferrets)