From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 2009 13:38:59 -0400
Re:   Music copyrights and ferret videos

Leslie wrote:
>YouTube will not allow my video to be published on their site due to
>the music. There is a new technology being used since Google bought
>YouTube which recognizes music waves. This will now happen to most
>videos submitted that contain music which isn't original. They also
>plan to scan existing videos and will likely take down thousands of
>them (my others included)

There is an actual BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY for those who are able to
create original ferret music (and others) for hire to those who want to
use music legally for their You Tube recordings -- kind of like those
who sell their own photos for uses. Many of those places are currently
very expensive but people who are trying to break into music, or
creating music in portions of music that are not high income (for
example, much of folk and classical), or established musicians who
write their own songs are all people who can sell limited uses of their
own music for affordable prices and have a potential gold mine here if
they market it right!

There are basically 3 variants to music copyright but there are also
special exceptions.

In general most music that originated before 1978 most music copyrights
are 90 years since first performance, and most music that originated
after 1978 has copyright protection for 75 years after the death of the
composers and lyricists.

There can be some that are different like some hired music, ones based
on performance but not on songwriting, and some special cases in which
families have been allowed to extend copyright to an extreme degree
such as the birthday song that begins "Happy birthday to you..."

Now, there ARE older recordings out there, and there are some with
variations as well as some that have been purchased especially to allow
public useage. It may pay to check in archives of old recordings to
learn some of those for You Tube usage. For instance, I think that
they might be able to legally go "automobubbling":
http://www.videosift.com/video/In-my-Merry-Oldsmobile because I think
that and its rights were purchased for a public usage library by
Brewster Kale (a wonderful person) BUT CHECK ME ON THAT BECAUSE I DO
NOT RECALL SPECIFICALLY ABOUT THIS SONG AND VIDEO. Some recordings
from the late 19th century and early 20th century are actually huge
fun. Look up sites like Brewster Kale's and some universities' to
find recordings that are out of copyright. (Some universities have
free internet access to a number of classical books that are out of
copyright, too, so you can just download them to your computer for
reading.)

Copyright gets very complex. For example, you own the rights to your
FML post, so unless you give them permission others can not carry it to
other sites, but Bill Gruber also has rights of use because it appeared
on his site. In some cases the site owns anything submitted, but
usually there is split ownership, and third parties can not legally
steal your posts. It does happen all too often, though.

Copyrights exist for images, written words, songs, etc. but the types
vary and there are variations within the groupings.

Copyright is such a muddle that unless you clearly know who owns the
piece you can't assume, and some of the variations are so complex that
you pretty much need a copyright lawyer.

Sukie (not a vet) (and not a lawyer, just a friend of some musicians
and the wife of one of the internet music invention pioneers -- and we
don't own the patents to those)

Recommended ferret health links: