From:
James Rademaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 2009 10:32:52 -0600
Fellow FML'ers

I've had ferrets for about twenty yrs and have been on the FML since
the mid 90's but seldom post due to the fear of being flamed or
starting another 'word war'. After the recent "Taboo Question" topic
I was compelled to post my opinion (last post FML #2009-136) and
received several emails of kudos, cheers and agreements. So I will
test uncharted waters once again.

Recently, a lady posted of the unexpected loss of her beloved ferret.
These are always sad and we have all had to deal with this issue. Some
more often than others. It is probably the most unpleasant and saddest
thing a ferret owner, or any pet owner for that matter, has to deal
with. My hat's off to the Bridge Greeters for making this a little
easier on people. That has to be a chore, composing greeting after
greeting (and these greetings are more than just a couple of lines).
The time it takes and the sadness they go through to make each greeting
personal with no pay or compensation, only the warmth and serenity they
get from knowing they have eased someone's pain. I would also like to
take this time to thank 'BIG' (Bill Gruber) for his time and unpaid
effort to make this all possible. That being said, I'd like to get
back to the original topic of this post.

A question arose about Taxidermy. I've never brought this up out of
fear of reprisal but after the "Taboo Question" thread I fell that this
could be discussed openly without starting a forest fire (I hope).

Taxidermy is widely used to preserve the conquest of some people's
pride in killing wild animals just for the fun of it. Not for food or
necessity but just for the mere feeling of superiority. On the other
hand, it can also be used to preserve an animal that was near and dear
to someone! Though some may consider this sick or morbid, I feel that
it serves a much better purpose than that of a "Trophy".

For those of you that find it hard to part with your beloved ferret
this is an option. The preferred method is like Freeze Drying. It
preserves the animal in its entirety. Fur, eyes, internal organs etc.
are all preserved intact. It's kind of like "Mummifying" your pet.
Taxidermists usually charge by the pound for this process so a ferret
is quite cheap. Ours charges $40-$80 per ferret. A good taxidermists
can preserve an animal to the point that it still appears to be
alive. Eyes can be open, front legs perched on a twig staring off
inquisitively or eyes closed, curled up in their favorite hammie in a
peaceful eternal sleep. The poses are endless and limited only by your
imagination. Our ferrets are free roam in their own room. This room has
a "Grotto" for our passed ferrets. Some of our ferrets seem to even
visit the Grotto on occasion as if to pay their respects. One of our
ferrets was actually found curled up with its lifelong cage mate as if
in fond memory, dreaming of times past.

Though this may not be for everyone it is an option for some to
consider. I strongly recommend it for those who just cannot seem to
part with their cherished fuzzies. These animals can also be willed or
donated to zoos, animal colleges, museums, local vets etc. as displays
at your time of choosing/passing. Though I haven't looked into the
legality of it, it may be possible to have these animals placed with
you when you leave this world to spend eternity by your side.

Anyone wanting more information on this subject may feel free to
contact me by email for further details. For those who disagree,
remember, everyone is free to have their own opinion.

Mike, w/Manny, Levi, Preston, Shelby, Heidi & Ellie.

In fond memory of Stinklett, Stretch, Morgan, Cid & Shiloh, who in
essence are still with us.